IRC Channel

Michi

Freenode  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Wether the channel should be moved

• The channel should be moved to freenode.
    • The channel is fine where it is.
    • n/a

yes, the irc channel could bring in new users, on a new server.

A mmorpg server, isn't the place for a nlite irc channel.

and nlite channel, does help support users when they are in a hurry, when people come to accept it.

Edited by gdogg

There were 4 people who agreed yet including me there are only 2 people in the channel,

and a question for the staff/mod's/admin's mind if we register the channel? (cause I kinda got the feeling you guys won't)

and a question for the staff/mod's/admin's mind if we register the channel? (cause I kinda got the feeling you guys won't)
That seems like a decision that only nuhi can make. But he hasn't weighed in on this so far, so....

@Michi,

- People which don't have anything to do with the nLite development should not register the channel in it's name. If you feel like you must open that channel then at least add "unofficial" into the title

- I don't have the time to chat about it, why did I make it but to avoid answering always the same questions

I am flattered by this but I simply don't have the time nor the will to talk about the program when not coding it. This forum is the maximum I'll go. Even the bug reporting web site proved to be a pain because people would report all kinds of silly things and even requested features in it.

You're free to add some more comments or questions to my reply, I wasn't active in this topic, maybe you're asking for my bone marrow.

@Michi,

- People which don't have anything to do with the nLite development should not register the channel in it's name. If you feel like you must open that channel then at least add "unofficial" into the title

- I don't have the time to chat about it, why did I make it but to avoid answering always the same questions

I am flattered by this but I simply don't have the time nor the will to talk about the program when not coding it. This forum is the maximum I'll go. Even the bug reporting web site proved to be a pain because people would report all kinds of silly things and even requested features in it.

You're free to add some more comments or questions to my reply, I wasn't active in this topic, maybe you're asking for my bone marrow.

Nuhi, the point is simple imho.

Previous channel/network wasn't the right place for #nlite channel, but freenode is...

So, you should come there and register #nlite...you or someone of the stuff (no one of you is idling on freenode? really?)

Then come alone that the channel will be "unofficial". Place just a topic like: "unofficial nlite chatting channel".

After this, when you talk of "Bug Reporting website" and DUMB reports, well, EVERY project got that....just ignore them...and naturally on the IRC channel too...

We all know that users HAVE TO rtfm...we ARE NOT their manual and they should READ the forum too.

The channel is not meant to substitute this forum or ANY other resource, it should be just an IRC channel...

So, no support there, for nothing. Only if someone have the time and the knowledge he could help out and answer DUMB questions.

Btw, i think that with MANY user, it could become a "good" channel for discussing nlite-problems-bugs-etc.

Many user could find it an invaluable resource and i'm sure many "dumb" posts will not be posted here.

So nuhi, you are free to come there sometime and remember "YOU HAVE NOT TO ANSWER DUMB QUESTION".

Just take what good could come from it.

Edited by Michi

Forums are better because all that would happen in IRC is having the same questions asked over and over; including unrelated items.

The forums therefore prevail as a grand source of vital information because it can be a more permanent source and any user with a question can search through to find an answer. If they have a question that has not been answered of need clarification on it, then they can post and it will be seen by the many forum users, as opposed to a few IRC users. Accuracy can also be shown moreso on the forums than on IRC and the forums help prevent a lot of problems from coming into play that could and more than likely would arise in IRC.

Michi, you can create a channel with that topic yourself, let me know when I can peep at it. Yeah mighty nuhi never opened a channel before nor he's willing to learn ;)

Problem with dumb reports is that they look the same as the genuine reports most of the time. Then after I spend 30min reproducing the same environment it all works just fine and I see he replies like: "oh it was not nlite's mistake, take care now, bye bye then".

So if you don't get what I'm trying to present in a subtle way: "I'm shielding myself from more input or I would go nuts". Too much reports and wishes like nLite has to have all the features known to man.

The channel is not meant to substitute this forum or ANY other resource, it should be just an IRC channel...

This is what I see for an IRC channel.

It'll be just a channel, nothing more...

btw...there're MANY project-channels on freenode and I'm always finding help there...more people, more help.

Actually on #nlite@freenode there're two people...me and Michi...so, no really "dumb" question, just some chats about nlite/addon/bugs.

Naturally, if someone come there and ask:

"How could i nlite my WindowsXP CD?"

my response will be something like:

"Go and read the forum/site/whatever! We are not your PERSONAL manual!"

So, everyone is welcome there, but i'll NOT be him/his manual.

mrmr

@nuhi we're idling there almost every day...so you are welcome too :D