IRC Channel

Michi

Freenode  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Wether the channel should be moved

• The channel should be moved to freenode.
    • The channel is fine where it is.
    • n/a

I joined the channel today and its quite dead, ppl are randomly opped, when someone enters they almost immediatly leave, the channel is tottaly in the wrong place, etc...etc... NEED I SAY MORE

I'm of opion it should be moved to freenode then some people will enter and probably stay, and a founder or anyone who knows things of nlite with which he could help people should stick some time into it, it needs to be fired up a bit.

I hope there are people who agree with me on this, if people want help they should be able to get it there, thats the reason it is there, but at the moment its at this 'practically unknown' server and dead.

Now lets make things happen!!! :yes:

I believe the forums are better because of organization. If we have dozens of n00bs join and they start swamping the place with silly questions and PMing the mods thinking they are special... it just isn't going to be fun.

On these forums, the things that people say are moderated properly. Etiquette is enforced, whereas on IRC it would be havoc.

I believe the forums are better because of organization. If we have dozens of n00bs join and they start swamping the place with silly questions and PMing the mods thinking they are special... it just isn't going to be fun.

On these forums, the things that people say are moderated properly. Etiquette is enforced, whereas on IRC it would be havoc.

Besides, a channel for MSFN in general was tried a few times, and it wasn't successful AT ALL. Creating one for one specialized (and relatively simple) app, especially as lots of people are switching to Vista... I wouldn't expect it to be a big hit no matter which server it's on.

Does it really make a difference which server it is on?

The channel is new, give it a chance. Maybe people just aren't interested in an IRC channel when they have these forums.

Actually the channel is over 2 years old.. Read the date on the first post of the thread mentioning the channel.. However, I agree that the forums are the best option for support. Don't muck up the support chain with an irc channel.

Well I have to say that if I have a question I can just ask in the IRC channel and save a bunch of time, saving me from having to register, even though I already have...

I found several channels on free node that I like because the original channel is hosted on there.

I am for the move as many good channels are on freenode.

As for cluttering up anything, an IRC channel will help clean up the forum.

Think about it, if someone is a noob and has a simple question, it's better to ask in the IRC channel without having to register, saving the person time and letting the forum stay cleaner.

Still even if you say its not needed, even if you say the forum is better, people enter daily with their questions big and small, things can be solved there faster , but there aren't many people that stay. So even if it weren't to be moved to freenode (where people would enter just cuz its there) there are people needed there, and you might be of help and if you can;

why not? :angel

Edited by Michi

why don't we simply idle on a nlite@freenode?

We'll take the better...

mrmr

P.S.

I'll join it now.

No need to register, just idle there.

If someone from "the stuff" think that could be a good channel, he'll register it and join there.

I would like to see someone of the staff take some action regarding the irc channel, because they didn't even bother registering the one on darkmyst while its supposedly been there for 2years.

(for example: Like either register and someone be active in it or appoint someone for this task)

Edited by Michi

IRC channels tend not to work well as supplements to a primary info source such as this forum, in my opinion. I've tried using them before, most recently for drupal, and what you tend to get is a few idling opers, a bot or two and no actual answers. The idea of near-real-time support sounds great at first but it requires a good number of knowledgable people to agree with the idea, run the software and and actually pay attention to the channel so that someone is online to answer questions when people show up. Also, it has occurred to me that anyone savvy enough to run an IRC client, find the right server and join the right channel is probably going to be OK without IRC support at all. A web applet does change that particular situation.

I think the nLite forum, and MSFN in general, is busy enough to provide a similar level of timeliness to what most IRC support channels provide. And that is in addition to the vast repository of information we already have here compared to *no* archive for IRC.

Don't get me wrong. I was once an avid, full time IRC user and have wasted a great many hours (years?) happily idling away, making good friends and writing bot/client scripts. While IRC still has its place, I just don't think it is suited for this particular purpose unless a significant number of people sign up for it. That level of support does not seem to exist.

With all that said, there is nothing inherently wrong with some IRC users banding together to run a channel in support of their favorite application. But that is different from an official support channel and nuhi may have an opinion about it.

With all that said, there is nothing inherently wrong with some IRC users banding together to run a channel in support of their favorite application. But that is different from an official support channel and nuhi may have an opinion about it.

I'm not talking about an "official support channel" cause i can agree that's a difficult task, btw, i'd like the channel registered by the stuff and i think that freenode is a good network for such a thing.

It should be only a "nlite centric" channel where user can share their knowledge, nothing less nothing more

mrmr