backup question

ElAguila

I am not too happy with the backup in Vista and I have been using the beta of Norton Save and Restore and not too pleased with that either. What I need to backup is not so much my system drive as it is my data. I have been thinking about using Winrar to backup data. I am able to run winrar from a PE disc that I burned. Anyone see any problems or issues using this method to back up data? If so do you have any suggestions for better software?

I want to be able to backup specific folders and files and back them up into a specific folder on a different drive. Vista back will only let me select the backup drive and not the folder. It doesn't let me browse the folders and files that I want to backup.

sure it does, Vista backup does just what you want.

I want to be able to backup specific folders and files and back them up into a specific folder on a different drive. Vista back will only let me select the backup drive and not the folder. It doesn't let me browse the folders and files that I want to backup.
Edited by Spooky

Vista backup is just a toy! What kind of backup utility is that doesn't allow users to select what files and folders will be backed up.

Previous NTbackup was limited too but had a file/folder selector.

I'm not sure what your seeing, but I use the Vista backup all the time to backup files and folders. It lets you select files and folders for backup just fine. I also use Vista backup to make complete system backups also. It works fine, does what you want it to do, and does it well.

If its not letting you select files and folders then something is wrong on your end. Are you using the RTM? Which versions are you using (business, enterprise, ultimate. etc...)

Vista backup is just a toy! What kind of backup utility is that doesn't allow users to select what files and folders will be backed up.

Previous NTbackup was limited too but had a file/folder selector.

Edited by Spooky

I am using the business edition. I have gone through the backup using the backup Backup Files option and using the Backup Computer option. Neither one will let me choose a folder to backup to only a drive to backup to. When I go to the next screen after selecting where to put the backup, it won't let me uncheck the C drive and will only allow me to check or uncheck drives on this screen. The screen after that asks which file types do I want to backup. It has a list of file types. At the bottom of the list is says additional files but it will not let me select specific files or folders that I want to backup. The next screen has the schedule of when to run it and the only options at the bottom are save settings and start backup or cancel.

Edited by ElAguila

ElAguila;

I need to apologize to you, I'm using a version of Vista back-up that has been extensively modified and is still in beta and allows the things you mention. I'd gotten so used to using it i'd forgotten about the regular user version your seeing. Your correct in your observations.

However, all is not lost for you. Open up an admin command prompt and type 'robocopy/?' (without the ' ) and see if that is of use to you.