Missing Files concern

Kiki Burgh

hi! this topic is all over the place ... so far from the 1st page alone the following are the topics i have found to be similar ... discussing about relatively the same thing:

(1) after running nlite, a few files are missing from the root folder, setup.exe, autorun.inf, etc

(2) Yet Another Missing Files Issue

(3) Missing file & unregistered fixes after winxp install

(4) a lot of files missing ehen using nlite

i am certain there are still others ... perhaps, we can post all of the related concerns in 1 place so as to minimize redundancy of discussion ... likewise, it would help others with the similar concerns ... lastly, it'll ease nuhi's response in 1 consolidated thread :P please don't take any offense as none is intended ... :yes:

Edited by Kiki Burgh

It did not solve the problem with the latest version for me.

I think some missing file problems can be fixed when you keep "Cameras and camcorders" compatibility. and don't remove the Toshiba video hardware support and don't remove that driver. Well you only might won't to try that if you in fact have a missing file problem.

I have some more info and a small missing file fix here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=87813

Edited by Ut\Collector

Kiki,

I think this thread is a good idea. Some people never have a problem, but some do. I see posts all over the place about this one. Of course, there are some things you can do to minimize the risk, but eventually, it'll happen.

Very useful. ;)

nuhi,

Just a suggestion. I LOVE the app. This is in no way a reflection on you, or your great proggy. But this could be a GREAT way to handle all the missing file issues all in one place. I know many times it happens due to "user error", but it would still be a good way to answer all issues at once, and possibly even weed out any actual adjustments that might be needed.

Might even make a great STICKY!! (Just a thought.) :blushing:

Kiki,

I think this thread is a good idea. Some people never have a problem, but some do. I see posts all over the place about this one. Of course, there are some things you can do to minimize the risk, but eventually, it'll happen.

Very useful. ;)

nuhi,

Just a suggestion. I LOVE the app. This is in no way a reflection on you, or your great proggy. But this could be a GREAT way to handle all the missing file issues all in one place. I know many times it happens due to "user error", but it would still be a good way to answer all issues at once, and possibly even weed out any actual adjustments that might be needed.

Might even make a great STICKY!! (Just a thought.) :blushing:

thanks RaGhul! i acutally thought along the same line ... of requesting for this to be stickied since there have quite a lot of similar missing files posts ... :P at least we could just have it in 1 place ... Edited by Kiki Burgh

newsposter, I ment that the causes were found and posted in those threads. For example the "missing setup.exe" is nothing more than removal of Manual Install component.

Under 3 is the nhelper missing, I got that here and fixed for next version.

Ut\Collector, seems to me that some of your hardware drivers is pulling those files during install?

If it's missing during cd copy then attach your preset without any hotfixes or drivers in which you have confirmed missing files on one of the virtual machines...please :)

RaGhul, I'm not THAT defensive or otherwise the app wouldn't be what it is. Anyone can post a bug report if it's confirmed by them...and if I manage to repeat it it will be fixed.

There are 2-3 known common scenarios of the missing files, they include winnt.exe install and files above 8 letters...sp2 over sp1 integration...and corrupted CAB files before nlitement.

Kiki Burgh, I prefer fixing, rather than sticking :)

I fixed every common bug so far, why would this be any different. It's combination of other tools and that's kinda boring to test since I don't feel solely responsible for the incompatibilities.

:thumbupUt\Collector, seems to me that some of your hardware drivers is pulling those files during install?

If it's missing during cd copy then attach your preset without any hotfixes or drivers in which you have confirmed missing files on one of the virtual machines...please

Nops its not the hardware pullig the those files during install (Tekst setup).

The files that are being coppyed during tekst setup are always the same. No mather what pc you install

(gosh even hase got a guide how to make a xp cd of the coppyed source of the tekst setup http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=9478 )

The files that i have missing are still named in DRVINDEX.INF and others. Most of those driver should be in the driver.cab but the arent any more. Sow you could say the the tekst setup can't pull the files form the driver.cab

I can confirm the missing files won't be in Windows when the install is ready.

Well i did a nother shrinking with nLite nLite 1.3 beta. When istalling in vmware i got these files missing:

srgb.icm

streamci.dll

tsbvcap.sys

tsbyuv.dll

usbcamd2.sys

usbcamd.sys

I'm sure the missing file problem can be fixed. I always will be a big fan of you're program :thumbup

Well i ad my preset.

LAST_SESSION.rar

Edited by UtCollector

UtCollector, I see you have some files in the Remove box. Please try once without using it, it doesn't clean the file calls from every inf out there, only the basic ones. This must be the cause of your missing files. Also use the clean installation files. And does your source has sp1 and sp2 in it or just sp2?

UtCollector, I see you have some files in the Remove box. Please try once without using it, it doesn't clean the file calls from every inf out there, only the basic ones. This must be the cause of your missing files. Also use the clean installation files. And does your source has sp1 and sp2 in it or just sp2?

Removing the files from the remove box did not help. I always use a coppy of a clean source.

My source cd seems to be is a: Windows XP Pro OEM the cd lable is: WXPOEM_EN

It did have sp2 but it could be very well that the sp2 is slipsteamed over the sp1

I did coppy a source from a other xp cd and now my missing file problems are over :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Ah...those sp2 over sp1 problems, constant over the years. And every time I try it it's ok, it must be some special version, maybe with sp1 already in it, I only have gold version (no sps).