Windows Jackhammer: The last update you'll need for Win98.

NL-Stitch

My conclusion is that this project looks like an excellent idea, but so far only in theory ... <snip> ... Good luck + Best wishes.

Well said. Critical but encouraging. No wonder you're a moderator !! And thanks for the info re: LOCATE.COM -- i'll try your code out and hopefully use it. I'll send you the finished code if it all goes good.

EDITED ALMOST IMMEDIATELY!!! I read this after I posted it... let me clarify, I am **not** mad, upset, angry, or anything at all... hope the PROPER tone and emotion is conferred now... text can be so misleading with English... now if I only knew another speakable language...

Disclaimer: I am not in a position to actually say anything at all about development... I ain't no spokesperson or anything at all... just my personal views and $0.02

Um, now I am confused...

Why do you say it isn't 'working' at all? I thought the point of BETA meant that at least the majority of the controls are there... and if that was the definition, then Jackhammer should be out of Beta... You see, I am *totally* confused by that statement... I have it currently installed on two towers now, both are running great. But, neither has working sound though (it's a bug we know about, but are working on... I think....)

Besides that, this kid has done a bit of coding from my untrained eyes... Yeah, it is pretty dirty.... but once again, isn't that part of being Beta?

I have done extensive testing of Jackhammer with exactly ONE set of current hardware, and I have not had the video problems...

We hope to have an option or two in the beginning of the install to toggle certain options on or off.... such as the swapfile usage (and size) and various other tweaks...

Oops, did I fail to mention I have jumped on this wagon with NL-Stitch?? I'm helping him to flesh out certain elements... I had many of the same thoughts of roughness and whatnot, but the bottom line is even my non-existant VB coding skillz are helping out on this project... It is *quite* a large plate for one 17 year old... and he has already been graded on it (if I'm not mistaken, it was back in the first week of December...) We have both been working on adding a few more of the basic features this type of a project requires...

Perhaps the problem here is that he/me/we could be 'off' by what BETA means... Also, we don't do nightly or weekly 'builds'... this project is too large (over a gig) to support that... we are also working to restructure the install code to streamline it better... copying a partition is a good idea, but *quite* unwieldy... He knows that the published Beta is pretty crappy... he was hoping that people would see the possibilities though...

We have *much* bigger plans for this project, the Beta that is available should perhaps be labeled "proof of concept" instead? Please provide better guidelines as to what constitutes a "beta" for purposes of this board... (specially since this place is sorta 'peer-reviewed'... I honestly don't know what guidelines are 'standard' in this industry)

The current available package of the project is perhaps best described as a basic skeleton at worst, and a partially animated corpse at best... this is, of course, with the understanding that the goal is to fully re-animate the corpse that is Windows 98SE and breath life into it once again... To attempt to provide a stream-lined installer for Windows 98 including every major update official and unofficial, as well as some GUI improvements and some extra 'punch'...

The default password is a throw-back to Linux/Unix.... what is the most powerful user on a workstation? OR.... what is C:\ en example of? or what part of a tree is in the ground?

As far as your video card install issue, can you please provide your motherboard chipset and video card info? It seems as though NL-Stitch has left a few hardware register keys in that should have been deleted... this might be your issue... (methinks the standard vga driver is included in the install and is your problem, or at least is related...)

Most important thing to remember is that some of the 'quirks' are intentional... in the finished project it won't be 'quirky', you'll just have to wait and see...

Keep your eyes peeled for an update in the near future... or at least some news about an update...

::working on getting translation, BTW::

Edited by DeadDude

Did I fail to mention that the available version at least gives you a decent web browser?? Firefox... heh...

and it also has loads of freeware/open-source software included in the install... roughly 30 minutes from start to finish and you got a 'patched and updated' as well as many of the standard software you'ld think an OS should include...

We *are* working on hardware issues... please post any/all you encounter!!

What I am working on currently is a new logo.sys and a replacement welcome.exe program with a few 'custom' functions... I initially wanted to just create a sort of splash screen, but now that the basic flow of the program is there I want to take it much farther... What I know about VB I thought was real basic stuff, but amazingly those tiny basic things actually seem to be capable of being strung together to actually accomplish something!

Edited by DeadDude

As far as your video card install issue, can you please provide your motherboard chipset and video card info? It seems as though NL-Stitch has left a few hardware register keys in that should have been deleted... this might be your issue... (methinks the standard vga driver is included in the install and is your problem, or at least is related...)

yes, this may be the problem. Good luck with the development ...

okay.....

so let me see if got this straight(er):

Alpha - skeleton supporting all functions (in theory?)

Beta - bug fixing of implemented functions (*no new functions??*)

So, by that definition... I don't see how we could ever get out of alpha...

Is the solution to define a smaller set of functions?

I don't understand how we could alter this project to that...

Help us flesh out the specifics of this aspect!! Many thanks for help!

I've used to think for this definition:

Alpha - known-to-have problems release which shows one or several, but not all product features.

i.e. works at least for someone

Beta - known-to-have-non-major problems release which shows most product features and can perform most tasks which product is meant for.

i.e. works [satisfies] most customers

Release Candidate - known-to-not-have problems, release which contains all declared functionality and is expected to work for everyone.

however, Wikipedia declares that different, but it won't change my mind ever.

So, by that definition... I don't see how we could ever get out of alpha...

Make a plan for a release which has all the features you want in it now, that you think is feasible. Then stick to that plan. After the release, you can go back and add more features and repeat the cycle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...