WIAK Changes not applied to image..!?

Hi, I'm just about to get started on this...after a few trials with mounting and unmounting the install.wim after editing the image I must ask you guys.

I remove stuff here and there after a succesfull mount of the install.wim, I give the command "imagex /unmount /commit C:\Vista.Mount" and it closes fine.

But the install.wim is still the same size?

Even when I mount the install.wim again I can see that the files are gone, the size is smaller in the repoistory for example...but the install.wim are the same size as before?

And as soon as I reboot the files are back there???

...how in heavens should I do this?

I run this under XP2p2 with admin rights under my account, and the latest RTM of the WAIK.

Thanks!

Sorry, Clint!

I've forgot to mention, that you have to insert the right image number instead of *.

Example:

ImageX /export /check C:\windows_distribution\sources\install.wim 4 C:\newinstall.wim

The newinstall.wim will be the new .wim file. You have to replace the old one in sources with this new one - rename the newinstall.wim to install.wim.

Martin

ImageX /export /check C:\windows_distribution\sources\install.wim 1 C:\newinstall.wim "Windows Vista BUISNESS"
Name is required if you are going to re-deploy a custom Install.wim with Windows Setup. The straight quotation marks are required. This flag is not required if you deploy the image by using ImageX.

ImageX /export /check C:\windows_distribution\sources\install.wim 1 C:\newinstall.wim "Windows Vista BUISNESS"
Name is required if you are going to re-deploy a custom Install.wim with Windows Setup. The straight quotation marks are required. This flag is not required if you deploy the image by using ImageX.

Excellent, thank you both! :thumbup

..and thanks for the VistaUA, still pokin' in it...will give report later on when things are coming together ;)

Ok, this is getting silly...

I first mount the image with:

imagex /mountrw C:\Vista\sources\install.wim 4 C:\Mount.VISTA

I then remove files and stuff from the mounted image worth something like 300mb.

I then unmount it with:

imagex /unmount /commit C:\Mount.VISTA

After that I copy the image:

ImageX /export /check C:\Vista\sources\install.wim 4 C:\newinstall.wim

...but the newinstall.wim is STILL the same size as the original install.wim...???

wtf?!?

this can't be this complicated.. :angry:

Edited by Clint

No, that seems only to be a higher compression...it takes a much longer time to compress with that switch.

Are you meaning this will force the changes to the image as well?

EDIT: After testing I can't see any changes in size from removal of files using that switch.

Can someone please give me a hint on this, this is getting very annoying... :realmad:

Edited by Clint

Hello Clint!

I've had some problems with the first command I gave you. That means size was not changed sometimes. But the second one - with compress - has allways been working fine for me... ok sometimes it's not decreasing the size as much as expected, but it's changing the size.

You can use none, fast and maximum with the compress switch. It will only work if you're using the same compress level like it was used when install.wim was created. So you should try, if something will change with the fast setting.

But that's really strange. :unsure: If you're using the /export command only, you're newinstall.wim should be already smaller than the original one. Cause you're exporting only one subimage of install.wim to newinstall.wim. That means that the other six subimages are not exported. So newinstall.wim inclueds much less stuff...

Martin

Problem solved! :thumbup

As you said must I use the same switch as in the original image, so when I apply "/compress fast" it works.

One could think it would work without switch when fast is default...but this is how things are..

Thanks for the help!