I had to ring Microsoft - does everyone else

RonaldoGomez

i don't like doin this too ... in my recent re-install i tried calling (as i am in transition to a new internet provider) the # specified: 800-2468-1668 but said it was disconnected ... perhaps some MS outsource company in india which had already been shut down ... would have been better if it prompted for a new # :(

hi siginet! would this tool of yours have a separate version for running via HFSLIP or nLite as i saw this needs to be run from integrator? HFSLIP can support .7z files (& nLite i think) so can i use this? cheers! :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

That would be most stupid reason to switch from XP to Linux :blink::D:D:D

Spending 15 minutes on the phone every month promising I'm not stealing something I've paid for isn't a stupid reason to make the switch back in my books.

Now... can anyone answer my question?

I live in Latvia and activation call takes less than 3 minutes :rolleyes:

RockXP method would only work for 1 pc, if you use your cd on a totally different system you still have to activate.

My method works on all computers. No problems with WGA or Windows Update.

The only thing you need is some decency to use the cd only if people have a valid license :)

The way I interpreted a report on the internet about this a while ago,

I thought that this only applies to copies of Windows XP from Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway and eMachines.

Now, I guess that it also applies to indy PC builders. :(

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't the possibility of saving some files (wpa.dbl and ?) to avoid reactivation disabled in SP2?

I'm using a valid and legal corporate edition (where I worked we, the tech guys, got our own copies as part of the volume licensing) so I don't have to bother with activation. I'm not sure if I will get Vista the same way, might get it from TechNet instead (which will require activation). Is there any similar method available for Vista (keep WGA but skip reactivation after doing it once)?

well i've had reply off a couple forums & i've been told that it works. They didn't say anything about SP2, but maybe they forgot.

I think i'll be trying it in a few days though, but if it doesn't work, MS better not give me any grief when trying to activate!!!

MS strong-arm approach really is offputting. I've never even looked into that Linux as an alternative. Stick with what you know kinda reasons. But maybe it'd be worth looking into it if MS are only going to get worse.

Microsoft's last days are upon us. Versions of linux are coming ever so close to windows desktop ease of use. If apple ever releases a version of there OS on the PC look out as horrids of PC users would quickly jump ship.

:no:

Just think of the impact that would have on the industry...not likely gonna happen at all.

Anyway, I have had to fone them up sometimes, got through straight away, also isnt it sommit like after 6 months u can re-activate over the net?

Microsoft's last days are upon us. Versions of linux are coming ever so close to windows desktop ease of use. If apple ever releases a version of there OS on the PC look out as horrids of PC users would quickly jump ship.

:no:

Just think of the impact that would have on the industry...not likely gonna happen at all.

Anyway, I have had to fone them up sometimes, got through straight away, also isnt it sommit like after 6 months u can re-activate over the net?

It's possible but I think you have to have not activated over phone or net in order for that to work.