instant messanger

Well, regardless of what IM client you're using the difference in memory usage is minimal of a few MBs here and there. Not really a big deal with a lot of RAM. You should have at least 512MB.

Agreed. In this day and age, whats +/- 2MB... I mean c'mon ;)

Look at my signature. ;)

Miranda IM is not cross-platform, it uses pure Win32 API. I've had my share of troubles with the old versions (always testing alpha builds), but I can say now that it has improved a lot compared to 0.3-0.4 versions.

While the stable release is currently at 0.5.1 and a 0.6 stable may be released soon, alpha builds are already one step ahead, the 0.7 branch being stable enough and adding lots of features, more or less visible for the common user.

Most of my tests as well as common usage were done on a 200MHz PentiumMMX with 64 MB of RAM, so if that's not resource friendly - I don't know what else could one ask. And please note that it was loaded with extra plug-ins, not a bare out-of-the-box installation. But that's talking about the ANSI build, as I was (and still am) running Win98SE on both the old and current boxes. There may still be some work to do in the Unicode build which is relatively young, but it appears to work OK as well.