internet phone

dirtwarrior

My year is almost up with windstream. The service I got was terrible. I am going to go back with comcast. It is higher but to help with the cost I am going to cancel my home phone. I will get a prepay phone but I want to get a usb adapter for my phone in my house.

OK my question is what does it take to make internet calls through my computer? I dont mean companies like vonage etc.

OK What additional hardware do I need to make it work through my conventional phone?

just a usb adapter that will allow your phone to function as it normally does plus allow it to make and recieve phone calls through skype

heres an example

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=466

btw the skype page has a good few of them to look at,,

http://us.accessories.skype.com/direct/sky....jsp?acctype=53

I know I'm going against what you asked in the first place, but I can't resist adding my 2 cents worth regardless, especially after having used it for quite a while.

Even if you disregard skype's bandwidth usage (it's actually a P2P app, using your bandwidth for other ppl's calls), there's still issues:

-there's many numbers it just CAN'T call, like most 1-800 #s I've tried, so relying on this alone there was at least a dozen common numbers I couldn't call at all.

-requiring your friends to use skype too (unless you use skypein/out)

-costs! Skypein is €30/year (if it's even available where you live - it isn't in Canada!), and the skypeout rates aren't always great (was like 2 cents/minute last time I bought some - counts even for local calls). Mind you they have a plan (30$/year soon), but it's quickly getting to be as expensive as my VoIP provider: 120$CDN/year flat, TOTALLY unlimited, including all possible features like voicemail (€15/year with skype) and all (and with *FAR* better voice quality, and no P2P bandwidth & CPU cycles hogging).

-also requires your PC to be on constantly (better be a reliable system too)

If you still opt to go the skype way (I bet you'll quickly change your mind if you ever do), then you can try this skype box (35$), which has worked quite well for me (I can use both skype and my voip line through it - not that I bother much with skype anymore)

Was this acceptable replacment for a land line?

IMO? Not AT ALL!

Is skype the omly good one? Sound quality?

Skype is hardly the only good one - I wouldn't quite say it doesn't belong on the list, but there's better out there IMO. A decent VoIP company (like I'm using), and if you want extra features, free international calling thru FreeWorldDialup and such, then look into TrixBox (to go along your ATA) - as long as whatever provider supports IAX (hopefully support good codec choices too).

Skype sound quality? It's below almost any VoIP I've tried (my VoIP sound FAR better than a landline).

VoIP doesn't have to suck, cost too much (like vonage), or have bad voice quality.

As far as skype goes, I wouldn't save 5$/mo using them over my current provider, and the difference in quality/service/bandwidth usage/reliability and all is well worth it (hey, I can even call 1-800 #s and it actually works, unlike via skypeout)

Was this acceptable replacment for a land line? Is skype the omly good one? Sound quality?

well when comparing voip / p2p and so forth to land lines, you will see a sound difference, when using internet to place a call to a land line, youll notice the sound isnt quit as clear as a land line and some times youll hear alittle ecco, but some devices will help eliminate this issue, how ever this technology has goten better in the last few years, id say choose your server wisly because quality does differ with servers,

id say if you want to hear what skype has to offer just buy a few bucks worth or what ever your currency is with skype out and test it out, atleast that way you wont be tied down in any contracts, and if you find out that its not all that you thought it was, then youd only be out a small amount of money,

any thing else youd kinda need a contract, like example vonage, if your in the us, plus at&t

well im not sure whats offered in your country so i cant really speak for it,, but i can say if your really wanting to save money, you may wanna consider a dedicated server like Asterisk or TrixBox

but those are just ideals but very nice to setup if you have an old pc laying around doing nothing,