Simple Installer

Hi just wondering if somebody could help me. Vista is cool but in my UA I am still missing some features. Like a program installer (WIHU)! I don't have the skills to create it myself.

Is it possible somebody creates a sort a WIHU like installer, which works with INI files.

When you launch it you will be able to change "Owner information", "IP", "DNS" and "Workgroup Names" after this you can select which apps you like to install and at last a reboot option. I dont give much about changing user info, I always find it kind of annoying.

It would be the best Christmas present ever :w00t:

It has been a while since I runned WIHU on Vista, from what I remember it installs software. But the 2 furst pages are just useless and hurting Vista because of the registry changes.

I will be launching my own website soon with stuff which is butifull, skins, guides, apps and more. Look at www.toastingvista.net in 2007! :angel

Normally I would suggest something like xplode, but if you are having trouble with WIHU that might be too much for you. I've also used Setup Studio with Windows XP many times, but their version for Vista won't be ready for a few more months.

Not sure what to tell you other than dig into WIHU or Xplode and learn, and then ask questions here on how to do things you're having trouble with.

• 2 weeks later...
cluberti you gave me a superb idea. I am quite skilled at NSIS, think I am going to use that!! Thanks :thumbup

How about something like this? I was already experimenting with an nsis based installer.

----------------------------------

Features:

----------------------------------

- Install multi programs

- Add registry keys (only HKLM at the moment)

- Copy files

- Add shortcut creation

Moved to simple-installer

Edited by Roufneck

How about something like this? I was already experimenting with an nsis based installer.

I like the skeleton of your post-install tool. Do you plan to develop it further?

As a default feature, i would like the GUI to autoclose a few seconds after installation completed.

How to write entry in .xml for an installer with quotes as parameters:

vmware-mount-5.5.0-18463.exe /S /V"/qn"

It's a msi wrapped in an installshield setup launcher exe.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

I like the skeleton of your post-install tool. Do you plan to develop it further?

As a default feature, i would like the GUI to autoclose a few seconds after installation completed.

Done that.

How to write entry in .xml for an installer with quotes as parameters:

vmware-mount-5.5.0-18463.exe /S /V"/qn"

It's a msi wrapped in an installshield setup launcher exe.

Good question. I'm looking into that.