Service Pack - Windows Updates only.

galahs

Gapes Unofficial Service Pack is great but I was just thinking, maybe it would be good to have a new Service Pack that just updates Windows 98 SE with OFFICIAL updates from Microsoft.

No tweaks, no new un-official patches, no new icons, just an update that updates your copy of Windows 98 Second Edition with every OFFICIAL update Microsoft released up until it dropped support for Windows 98 Second Edition in September 2006.

That way we can have a new base level.

Windows 98 Second Edition + All Official Patches from which to work from.

That way the process to reinstall Windows 98 SE would be for example:

Install Windows + Drivers

Install IE 6 SP1

Install DirectX 9.0c

Install Media Player 9

Install "W98SE Official Patches"

Install "W98SE Unofficial Patches"

I like the idea that users could easily update their system to the exact spot where Microsoft left off. Then they can decide if they wish to install any unofficial updates to carry on keeping their system up-to-date.

It also simplifys the update process which would really help new users keep their Windows 98 SE system in shape.

Thoughts?

Edited by galahs

Well, isn't the autopatcher here for that? :huh:

It will even install DX9, MP9 and IE6 for you.

But maybe you just don't like the fact that the autopatcher mixes unofficial and official updates? Maybe ask Soporific about that. He might do an option to install unofficial updates separatly (well, lot of work though). :)

If I may jump in here with a little different perspective on this issue? I am on a dialup and the 180meg file for the AutoPatcher is approximately a 6-7hour or more download. Just a bit more than one can handle on this slow type of connection. Am working out a deal with a friend to maybe download a copy over his dsl hook-up.

I would like that idea of doing a full update of all patches for Win98SE then have selectable or choices of doing other patches after my system is fully patched. I have not done all of the patches that were put out by Microsoft as my copy of IE would not work all of the time and Mozilla Firefox would not do for any updates. As it stands now I have only about 3 or 4 patches done and have IE v6.0 /w SP1 and internet tools with a couple of patches installed. Attempting to find all that is needed is a daunting task, especially for a NOVICE and not really sure how to gain these patches nor which ones or how many. I have done some that were IDed as for Windows 98 (FE) and had some problems with my system, they were supposed to have worked on both FE and SE. I removed them and my problems went with them.

Besides, I do not want nor need WMPlayer v9.0 as I have installed 98SEWMP10/w 98SE2XP on my system and all are working well together. I understand there is an enormous amount of work involved, not being a programmer, just made some feeble attempts to learn on my own and that is much more than I can handle at this time. The software world is changing too fast for a slow learner to even think about learning how to program. By the time you are into the basics it is 10 years old and the software is updated daily, weekly, monthly and at times hourly.

Hopefully one day I will be able to help support some of these ventures, 'til then I can only be an IDEA person or moral support and do some spreading of the word of what you and others are doing from this site.

I do wish to thank each and everyone that produce these products for doing this work. If it were not for your GREAT production of this software I, for one, would not be able to be on the net. All I have to work with are cannibalized equipment that is from about 6-10 years old. I have pieced together from many different computers to make what I am using. If I can do anythingy to assist in testing, working with as a NOVICE, to help in any way to make this even more successful, I am here. Not on this site everyday as I am working on learning more about what I have and what I can do with it. When there is a post to just a couple of these threads that I have subscribed to for e-mail notifications, I check to see what is there.

If you did not gleen my VOTE for the OfficalUPDate/wPatches for Win98SE, then it is here.

This is getting too long, Happy Holidays with a Joyous and Prosperous New Year to all,

Thoughts?

Why anybody should spent time creating such a service pack when there is Gape's Unofficial Service Pack tested by thousands of people?

Softpedia shows 457,584 downloads

Major Geeks: 585,987 downloads

Freeware Files: 83,871 downloads

Do you think that it is not tested well and people should instal, older files with more bugs instead?

Petr

Edited by NT > > Removal of double post. I had started to post my message and decided to add some and hit the ESC key before the message had left my screen. Did not know that would happen, I apologize.

Thoughts?

Why anybody should spent time creating such a service pack when there is Gape's Unofficial Service Pack tested by thousands of people?

Softpedia shows 457,584 downloads

Major Geeks: 585,987 downloads

Freeware Files: 83,871 downloads

Do you think that it is not tested well and people should instal, older files with more bugs instead?

Petr

Petr,

If I may step in here with some questions? I know you were not responding to my post, but; are all of the Patches from Microsoft for Win98SE and IE v6.0.xx to bring those up to date in there? Will the fact that I have MDGx's 98SE2ME, 98WMP10 and 98SE2XP as well as Gape's UnOfficalWin98SE_SP2.1A installed on my system - - will the downloading, if I can get my friend to do it for me, and installation of the AutoPatch cause problems because it has WMP v9.0? Or any other updates that I have installed already be effected by this large file? I am not concerned about if it has been tested or if any other install has been a problem. My system is not like the other installs so if that could be a problem that is mine to deal with as my system is NOT the same as any other.

Being a Novice makes problems for me, as well as you because we ask DUMB questions. The number of downloads is impressive, but; is not really a factor in what I have been asking about.

Thank you for reading my post,

Edited by NativeTexan

If I may step in here with some questions? I know you were not responding to my post, but; are all of the Patches from Microsoft for Win98SE and IE v6.0.xx to bring those up to date in there? Will the fact that I have MDGx's 98SE2ME, 98WMP10 and 98SE2XP as well as Gape's UnOfficalWin98SE_SP2.1A installed on my system - - will the downloading, if I can get my friend to do it for me, and installation of the AutoPatch cause problems because it has WMP v9.0? Or any other updates that I have installed already be effected by this large file? I am not concerned about if it has been tested or if any other install has been a problem. My system is not like the other installs so if that could be a problem that is mine to deal with as my system is NOT the same as any other.

Being a Novice makes problems for me, as well as you because we ask DUMB questions. The number of downloads is impressive, but; is not really a factor in what I have been asking about.

I have no experience with 98SE2ME, 98WMP10, 98SE2XP and Autopatcher and I don't use WMP v9.0 so I'm sorry, I can give no advice to you.

Gape's sesp21a obviously does not contain fixes released after its release more than one year ago.

Regards,

Petr

Hi NativeTexan!

I hope you realize that if you only installed those things that you mention in your post that you do not have WMP 9 installed. Nothing you mentioned there installed WMP 9 for you.

Only installing the items you mentioned leaves you with Internet Explorer 5 that came pre-loaded on 98SE and WMP 6.1 (I think, I know you don't get 6.4 unless you install it with a later version of Internet Explorer or individually).

You just get the version you have patched to the security updates for it.

Of course, if you installed the Autopatcher then you do have WMP 9 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1 that includes the WMP 6.4 player as well.

Now, if you have used Microsoft Windows Update and downloaded IE 6 SP1 and WMP 9 from there, then of course you do have them.

Gape's pack includes the Microsoft updates with their fixes (so they work, unlike the official Windows Updates), but only those that were released when Gape's pack was finished.

One of the advantages of the new Autopatcher is that it includes all the fixed updates as well as updating things to NOW, instead of being a couple of years old.

Lots of individual updates are needed after Gape's pack to bring it up to date, whereas the Autopatcher does all that for you with no fussing or deciding which ones or in what order.

• 2 weeks later...

*Smile*

Thats,easy because such a thing already exists *g* .

Go to:

http://www.w98upg.net.tf

And download wupg98 english version.

To just install the Microsoft updates you may change into the Subfolder "ups" , and execute

the batch file spe.bat .

Here an overview of all updates that are installed:

Microsoft Updates:

wucsp Windows® 98 Customer Service Pack 1 (only Windows 98 Standard)

236926 Windows 95/98 TCP/IP May Retransmit Packets Prematurely

243199 NDIS Intermediate Drivers Errors NDIS.VXD build 4.10.2224

263044 Fdisk doesn't recognise Harddisks larger than 64 GB correct.

273017 Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package

273727 Malformed IPX NMPI Packet NWLINK.VXD VSERVER.VXD Security Update

811630 Security Update for Internet Explorer

823559 Security Update for Microsoft® Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition

814078 JSript 5.6 Secutity Patch

243450 ScanDisk-Flaw on IDE-Harddisks larger than 32 GB

TelnetUp Telnet Update

4756 Shutdown Supplement

329048 Unchecked Buffer in File Decompression Functions May Allow Attacker to Run Code

323255 Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility May Allow Attacker to Run Code

323172 Flaw in Certificate Enrollment Control May Cause Digital Certificates to Be Deleted

314147 An Unchecked Buffer in the SNMP Service May Allow Code to Run

274548 Patch for "HyperTerminal Buffer Overflow" Vulnerability

260067 Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update

259728 Windows Hangs with Fragmented IP Datagrams

256015 Fatal Exception 0E with Multiple MS-DOS Device Names in Path

249973 Default RTF File Viewer Interrupts Normal Program Processing

245729 Windows 98 File Access URL Updatet

311561 MS-DOS Does Not Properly Process Hard Disk Hardware Errors

hhupd HTML Help Update (1.4)

crlupd Erroneous VeriSign-Issued Digital Certificates Pose Spoofing Hazard - Security Update

313829 Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Could Lead to Code Execution

329115 Certificate validation flaw might permit identity spoofing

scr56 Windows Script 5.6

891711 Vulnerability Patch

instmsia Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable

240075 USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition

870669 Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer

833989 Internet Explorer Update

245682 IDE-Controller disabled in Device-Manager

287564 Security Update for Movie Maker 1.0

896358 Update

888113 Vulnerability in Hyperlink-Objectlibray could allow remote code execution

891781 Security Update for Internet Explorer

249635 USB Update hidclass.sys 4.10.2223

unicows Microsoft Layer for Unicode

253697 USB Enumeration Problems with

OpenHCI Controller on Fast Computers

rootsupd Root Certificate Update

249146 Sounds May Be Disabled Using PlaySound API with USB HID Devices Present

241084 Computer Hangs Entering ACPI S4 Mode with USB Device

306453 You Receive a Bugcheck in Usbhub.sys When You Remove or Add a USB Device

274370 Windows 98 Second Edition Patch for Error Message on a Blue Screen When You Try to Play Digital CD Audio

290831 Windows 98 Second Edition SRB_FUNCTION_SHUTDOWN Requests Not Sent to SCSI Miniports During Shutdown Patch

269601 Windows Driver Model Audio Update for Windows 98 Second Edition (WDM)

272137 GetShortPathName() Does Not Work When It Is Passed a Long File Name from A Novell NetWare Server

288430 Laptop Computer Hangs During Docking or Undocking

259253 ACPI Computer with Anti-Virus Software Installed Stops Responding When You Restart Computer

885258 Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB885258)

904706 Security Update for DirectX 9

908519 Vulnerability in Embedded Web Fonts Could Allow Remote Code Execution

913433 Security Update for Flash Player

KB916281 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (June 09, 2006)

918439 Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering Could Allow Remote Code Execution

KB917734 Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 for Windows 98 and Windows ME

917344 Vulnerability in Microsoft JScript Could Allow Remote Code Execution

918547 Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution

Edited by winxpi

winxpi's is a very good pack there! I've used it. I only didn't like the registry tweaks it installs automatically, but didn't get mad since his explanation made me laugh. "If you don't like it, I don't care." He, he.

One of the reasons I like auto-patcher for Windows 98SE better is the abitlity to select/deselect stuff and that I like his registry tweaks better.

Also, the auto-patcher is more up to date at this point and also installs some of the unofficial, improved by 3rd party Windows Updates rather than all the official Microsoft ones, some of which don't work right the way Microsoft's installer does them.

And with auto-patcher one doesn't need to install a bunch of things manually (Internet Explorer, WMP, Direct X, etc).

Native Texan,

Please choose ONE massive updates pack, either Gape's Unofficial, Maximus-Decim, auto-patcher, or wupgrade pack. I know I used to do Gape's pack first then another one, but I don't see that as necessary anymore with the improvements to auto-patcher.

Just don't install a bunch of them. Too much duplication and different install methods. Can wreck the system doing that.

Then AFTER installing ONE such pack, then you may install 98SE2ME and 982MP10. When using auto-patcher, try toggling off the 98SE2ME and 982MP10 as you'll be installing them yourself afterwards. Duplication is bad.

I guess what I was originally trying to say was...

I like the idea of GAPE's patch, but I don't like how it adds other UNOFFICIAL patches like different icons, registry tweaks etc. If it was JUST the Microsoft updates I would be happy.

Users could then tweak their other settings and files themslf if they so felt like it, but at least their system would be as up-to-date as Microsoft left it.

Well, Gape's pack plus a visit to Windows Update or even just going to Windows Update and letting it install everything would do that.

Or, download that Upgrade Pack 98 or the auto-patcher and extract them and install all the official updates yourself.

Or, use the auto-patcher and toggle off all the things you don't want (best and quickest choice). All tweaks and unofficial stuff can be toggled on or off when using the auto-patcher.

The auto-patcher has nearly every update available, so you can either do them yourself or let it do them for you.

I just ran it. It was a pleasure to save all that time and have everything I want and not the things I don't want.

I'm starting to feel that there really isn't a need for everyone's different packs (at least the 98SE Windows Update packs) anymore.

I do recommend that folks toggle off the 98SE2ME and 98MP10 modules and instead install them after the auto-patcher. Unless you don't have a Windows Me cd. Then go ahead and leave 98SE2ME on in the auto-patcher as you'll get a few important replacements for buggy 98SE versions of explorer, user, etc.

A good place to look for windows updates is http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/

They have a good list of updates for:

Windows 3.11 for Workgroups

Windows 95

Windows 98 (FE and SE, separate sections for each version)

Windows ME

Windows 2000 Pro

Windows NT 3.51

Windows NT 4.0

Office 95, 98, 2000, XP, 2003, MAC

Microsoft Outlook 98

I hope this helps

Edited by amocanu

A good place to look for windows updates is http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/
Thanks for the link.

Just in case you haven't seen this one yet:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm

All available official + unofficial updates for Windows + DOS [all editions except Vista].

HPCFactor web site is linked at my web page above in different places:

- Unofficial Windows 98 Patches & Updates Guide:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/win98/

- Unofficial Windows 95 Patches & Updates Guide:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/win95/

- Unofficial Windows NT 4.0 Patches & Updates Guide:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/winnt4/

- Unofficial IE 5.5 SP2 + Active Desktop for Windows 95/NT4:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/msie/ie55sp2/

HTH [Hope This Helps]

Sper ca vremea este buna in Romania.

Noroc.