nLite vs. Vorck's Method

Silvan

Welcome to MSFN.

You can do it with nlite. remove IE & the core & if you like all the additional items that go along with explorer and your set. His method is an after install method (well some of it is). Nlite is a full package. remove IE and a lot more.

DO NOT remove core at all, you will no longer be able to use any browser (FireFox, Opera, Netscape)... as far as I know according to what happened with me.
Wrong
This sound brand new to me, please explain because keep the core is one of the nLite standards I'm stick to, also every time I remove it I can not use any other browser as I've mentioned above, so if I'm wrong I'd like to know the right, and in case I was wrong, why I can not use any other browser then? :huh:

Thanks

When IE core is removed any browser which uses IE core will not work. FF uses gecko and doesnt need IE or core to work. Paying careful attention over the removed componants may help not break your install. I have used both Nlite and Vorck method and sometimes a combination of both. I remove IE and core for secutity reasons and the OS runs a little faster. Add/Remove programs will not work if core is removed and system restore wont work Big deal. Secondary apps work better anyway.

as far as 2K (& 2K3 which is supposed to be backward compatible with XP) is concerned, FDV's way (& his file sets) is nearly perfect (the reason too for his retirement :( ) ... however, HFSLIP users (& i suppose nLite users) have tested his ways & technically it works for XP too (w/ some additional reduction modified files required) ... if i am not mistaken FDV has removed IE core entirely and is using other browsers, firefox & opera specifically & these work ... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this. Figured I should clarify some things.

None of my method is after install. It is 100% removal prior to installing.

Although my method is simpler (see below) I advocate using nLite as it's far more flexible for most of what people want to do. I give only one set of options, Nuhi gives you a lot more choice.

Long explanation short, my files remove Registry junk that adds up to quite a bit, and that does make a speed difference in Win2k due to the way the Registry works (works differently in XP, 2k3). A LOT of IE junk is in the Registry... have a look at my IE.INF to see what gets deleted.

Also, as Kiki notes, the IE core is entirely gone. Also, Internet Information Server, Internet Information Server Debugger, MS FrontPage Extensions, Fax Services, Indexing Service, Imageviewer, MS PictureIT!, Games, Windows Scripting Host, Task Scheduler, DCOM, Internet Connection Wizard, ActiveMovie for IE, NetMeeting, and the fake MS-Java. Outlook is not installed by default but I include an INF to do so easily. Also, you have to use Windizupdate since the MS Windows Update site is IE only.

Nuhi is correct in that some compatibility is broken with help files and some programs like PCAnywhere and other Symantec programs. I honestly don't know of much else. My files do have some Registry additions to make the system think IE is installed, so many programs such as Office will work fine. I wouldn't say my main focus is hatred of Microsoft, but I will admit that this is not far off. I use Kubuntu and Windows both.

My method in 4 steps:

1. Copy i386 to your HDD

2. Download my files

3. Drag and drop into i386 and replace the existing files there

4. Burn a new bootable CD.

Edited by fdv