Whats Missing from Win98SE

What I mean is disabling any change in system and program files while you are, for exmaple, on the internet.

I don't think the virus makers need to know the partition tables. Howver protecting the software can be made at this level thought I don't think it should go as far as to hide the partition table.

• 5 months later...

This is my first posting though I've been a member for a tad. I looked about for this subject, so if it is not in the right place feel free to move it where it belongs.

First, I thank every member of this site who has labored so hard to keep the world's best OS alive and viable.

Now, what about the IPv6 compatability? I've heard 98 does not support it. There is supposed to be a program (you have to pay for it) that solves this problem; but I think it is dangerous to put all ones eggs in such a basket. BUt if there is no support for IPv6, should not that be of prime concern? Is anyone working on this? It would be a great loss not to have internet access.

Once again, if this has been addressed elseware, please forgive.

Hi cyberformer!

You're talking about Trumpet Winsock v5.0. However, IMHO, I don't see how in the near future, IPv6 could deny internet access to Win9x users.

Indeed, IPv4 support will remain for years because switching totally to this new standard would require changing every servers, routers, modems etc... to new ones without backward compatibility.

But sure, on a long term basis, it could be nice to have this kind of feature. Maybe we should deal lots of RAM issues and hardware compatibility first... :)