seagate bracooder clicking noise

One other little trick that I've heard a couple times is, put the HDD in an airtight bag and place it in the freezer for a while. An hour or so. This will actually give you time to salvage some, if not all, the documents on the HDD when you plug it back into your system.

Same here. The 320GB'ers (7200.10 series SATAII) are very well priced (~100 USD), are fast, nice 16MB buffer, pretty quiet, 5 year warranty and all.

SilentPCReview - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 series

Sadly, they're not the quietest in the bunch. Sure - for consumers it's the best warranty, but in my experience, if a drive outlasts a 3 year warranty, it'll probably outlast a 5 year as well.

Oh - and another word of warning - never buy Maxtor. I can post a picture if anyone wants of 3 Maxtor hard drives that I have on my shelf that are all dead. All of these are not terribly old, but of the 4 maxtors that I've seen lately (in the past year or so), three have died. Not to mention - the one that's still running is a pretty old 10GB 5400RPM drive. It passes all diagnostics I've run on it, and SMART is reporting excellent results. :)

Sadly, they're not the quietest in the bunch.

Yeah. They're about average. Not noisy, not whisper quiet either. That's kind of what I meant (noise isn't a problem)

Oh - and another word of warning - never buy Maxtor. I can post a picture if anyone wants of 3 Maxtor hard drives that I have on my shelf that are all dead.

I'd say the same, but about Western Digital drives. I've seen countless dozens of bad ones (however we destroy them). Yet, i've had very good luck with maxtors (mind you I mainly buy seagate these fays). Don't want to sound rude, but that's anecdotal evidence... I'll buy any maxtor over a WD anyday.

Sadly, they're not the quietest in the bunch.

Yeah. They're about average. Not noisy, not whisper quiet either. That's kind of what I meant (noise isn't a problem)

Oh - and another word of warning - never buy Maxtor. I can post a picture if anyone wants of 3 Maxtor hard drives that I have on my shelf that are all dead.

I'd say the same, but about Western Digital drives. I've seen countless dozens of bad ones (however we destroy them). Yet, i've had very good luck with maxtors (mind you I mainly buy seagate these fays). Don't want to sound rude, but that's anecdotal evidence... I'll buy any maxtor over a WD anyday.

Well, I may be in trouble then. I have a Maxtor and a WD. :P

But I'm saving up some money to build a new system so when I have enough, I may either get a seagate, or maybe the WD with the window.

I'll buy any maxtor over a WD anyday.
No offence intended, but I actually choked on what I had in my mouth when I read that.

It's ironic how different people's experiences can be. I figured we could have some debate about hard drives, so I created a poll here so that we could discuss it some more.

maybe the WD with the window.

If you're going to get a 150GB raptor, get the one WITHOUT the window. The one with a window is a consumer level drive while the one without a window is an enterprise level drive. They both cost the same price (or very close to each other) but the enterprise level drive will last you much longer.

Edited by jcarle

I'll buy any maxtor over a WD anyday.
No offence intended, but I actually choked on what I had in my mouth when I read that.

It's ironic how different people's experiences can be. I figured we could have some debate about hard drives, so I created a poll here so that we could discuss it some more.

I choked too. I'm trying to dislodge the chip from my throat as I type this. :o

But seriously, Maxtors do suck. I used to have a Maxtor External HDD that hooked up via FireWire. After months of fighting with the **** thing to stop vanishing, I took it out of its casement and hooked it up via IDE. A few months later it died. I got all the data off of it. :) I took some screws out of it, opened it up a bit, filled it up with water and let it rest overnight. The next morning I wrapped it in a plastic bag and beat it around the apartment for 5 minutes or so. My fiancee wouldn't let me put it in the microwave (likely wouldn't have been a good idea anyway), but I had fun annihilating my old Maxtor drive.

Yes i have had bad luck with maxtor and wd i have at least 10 wd's sitting in my cubbord ( all arround 40 gig) and there all screwed!

so i just stay right a way from them i have on ever had one maxtor hd and it crashed in the first month so i backed up and replaced imeaditly!