Help nic stuck at aquiring address

gargoyle

It seem like my MB level nic can not get an address. It is stuck at "acquiring an address".

The information supplied by Belarc:

SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Dhcp Server: none responded

Physical Address: 00:10:DC:D5:A8:FA

The computer is connected to the internet through a EtherFast® 10/100 5-port Auto-Sensing Hub. Which in turn is connected to a Westall 6100 DSL modem.

When I start my computer (single user) it seem to want a password for my account. I have not entered one in I just click ok.

When I need to connect to the internet I click on a icon labeled DSL and it reports back that I am connected at 100Mpsb.

In the tray at the both of the screen I now have 2 network icons on representing the DSL connection and the other Local connection 5. The Local connection 5 is the one still searching for the address.

What is wrong here why can I not get an address for the Local connection 5?

This is a new problem because I have just started using dsl.

Equipment involved:

computer # 1 P4 2.4GHz with built in nic SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

computer # 2 P4 1.7GHz with built in nic Realtek 10/100 Mbit onboard

Dsl Modem Westall 6100

Initially I started with the P4 2.4Ghz

Used a direct connection with the modem to nic

Tried to install dsl software but it said there was a problem with the cables.

I then attempted to install it on the P4 1.7Ghz with direct connection.

The installation when smoothly and everything worked.

I then when back to the P4 2.4GHz and tried it again. Still the same problem.

The software think there is a problem with the cables, I have determined that it is not the cables because I use the same cable to hook up the P4 1.7Ghz and it ran just fine.

I do have a connection with the P4 2/4Ghz however I have to connect by click on a icon on my desktop that says DSL. However I still have a second icon in the system tray said it is "Aquiring network address"

I still can not figure out why I have this icon for Local connection 5 and why it can not get an address.

This is a new problem because I have just started using dsl.

Thats why I'm suggesting to plug straight into the modem. If I was you I'd contact your ISP or modem vendor instead of asking around on the forum and hoping for the correct answer. Call the people who support the software and the modem to get your problem resolved.

Edited by ringfinger

My problem has been solved.

It seem that my Server and DHCP processes under the Administar / Computer Management was disconnect .

How this happened I have not idea. I started them and the problem has gone away.

Now to the next problem.

I would like to thank all of you who replied for you my need for help.

Interesting... DHCP should be Automatic I would think unless you changed something. I have my server service set to disable as it can result in vulnerabilities within Windows, however I suppose you may need it with DSL I don't know. Glad ya got it resolved..