Computer still slow after running scans/cleaners.

Sorry if this has already been addressed. but I just couldn't find it through search.

I just left my friends house who has spyware bad. found like 125 between Spybot and Adaware. I even ran Ccleaner to clean up the regisrty and the system is still slow. it just lags at anything you do. you hit the start button and it takes a few seconds for it to draw on the screen.

I also installed AVG and no virus were found.

I have this happen most of the time and end up just reinstalling windows. This is a serious pain to do every 6-12 months and would like to know of any programs or tricks I can do to recover the systems speed.

I do have Ghost to make disk images, but it's still a pain to do.

TIA

-=Mark=-

Check the task manager. Is the CPU usage at 100%? My guess is that it is.

Grab a better anti-virus program, such as Avast. Chances are AVG is just missing anything that's on your system. There's a whole forum on malware cleaning and prevention here. Have a look to see what information you can get from there.

Disk fragmentation can also cause your system to slow down, but not in the way that you're describing. Once you're absolutely sure that there isn't any malware left on your system, you can start to worry about that.

If the hard drive is showing heavy activity, maybe you should consider a defrag.

I have this happen most of the time
If you secure your system properly you should NEVER get infected. My current installation of Windows 98SE dates back to early 2001 and my XP from 2003. No viruses or any other malware. Haven't had to reinstall since.

It's not really about staying away from "malicious" sites, but securing your machine so those sites don't have any effect (I browse everywhere on the Internet - I'm sure some of the sites I've been to would severely infect some other user's machine, but not mine.)

MarkJohnson, do the following:

1. Download and install Diskeeper. Let it take care of your harddrive's fragmentation for you.

2. Go to Start > Run > Type in "msconfig" and under the "General" tab under "Selective Startup" uncheck "Load Startup Items". Reboot.

Notice a difference? ;)

Thanks for the link to the malware guide. I won't be going over to my friends for a day or two, but downloaded everything to cd to install.

I did defrag and no luck luck. it is definitely a missed virus as it chews up the cpu time causing huge lag.

and as for diskkepper, I already have the last 3 editions, but I'm not buying from there anymore. I just reinstalled it on my machine on a fresh install and it says I have to buy an annual upgrade to get updates :realmad: it is a great program, but I'm not paying a yearly fee for a defragmenter.

"How can I properly defragment the needed files?" Simple. The following instructions will help you download the necessary freeware tools to clean up your system and optimize it.

1. Download Power Defragmenter GUI and save it where you can find it easily (Such as the Desktop).
  2. Unzip PowerDefragmenterGUI.zip. Unable to decompress the zip file? You can use 7-Zip to decompress files with ease.
  3. Download Sysinternals' Contig to the same location you saved Power Defragmenter GUI.
  4. Unzip Contig.zip. Browse into the Contig directory and copy the Contig.exe file into the Power Defragmenter GUI folder. The reason? Power Defragmenter GUI is designed to work extremely well with Sysinternals' Contig.
  5. From the Power Defragmenter GUI directory, double click the Power Defragmenter GUI.exe file.
  6. Click Next, then select PowerMode Disk Defragmentation and click next. The Contig window will open as your hard drive is defragmented. Once Contig completes, the Windows Disk Defragmenter will open in the command line window and defrag your hard drive as well, putting things in the order it sees best fit for your computer. When everything is complete, Power Defragmenter GUI will tell you that it has completed all of its work. You can click Quit/Finish to exit the program.

NOTE: This process can take anywhere from minutes to hours! It is best to let the defragmentation process complete for optimal performance. If need be, let this run overnight.

The process is all automated and will help your system greatly. Should any questions arise, please contact me.

Kind regards,

Tarun

A year ago, I tuned up a Dell laptop computer for a young college girl.

I gave her all the best FREE AV and AS software and an instruction book

on how to upgrade and run each program.

OK, its a year later and I had to re-tune that same laptop a few days ago.

It was taking 20 minutes to boot up and several minutes to just open a program.

In the past year, she had not updated or run any of the programs I had given her. :no::realmad:

If she had taken it to any Service Center, like the Geek Squad at Best Buy, they would

have just reformatted the HD and run the factory restore procedure.

Sorry....I don't work that way. :no:

I began by installing all the latest versions of AVG, AdAware, Spybot and Trojan Hunter (free Trial).

Many viruses and spyware were found and removed by AVG, AdAware and Spybot, but the little

PC was still slow and very unresponsive. To just get the context menu for the desktop, took almost

a full minute.

OK it was Trojan Hunter's turn. T.H. found over 60 instances of trojan activity on that little PC.

Once all that was removed by T.H., the little laptop began to once again run like a real computer.

After a thorough HD cleaning and a complete Defrag, things were pretty much back to normal.

This entire process was accomplished over a six hour period, while I did a retune on Dad's computer and installed a new Dell Laptop for dad.

The only time I regret being in the computer repair business, is when people just won't do what I tell them or use the FREE software I give them to keep their computers safe from Malware.

Good Luck and Happy Computing,

Andromeda43

PS: Get Trojan Hunter and install it as a FREE Trial and get the updates and run it on that computer.

You can easily carry T.H. with you to the site, on a CD or flash drive. (I use both)

These are the programs I use every day to keep my own PC spotlessly clean.

I suggest every person having any Virus or Spyware issues get these programs

and use them immediately.

Do check for updates to all your security software on a DAILY basis.

SPYWARE/Trojan BLOCKERS/REMOVERS:

Trojan Hunter, is a first class Trojan Horse Virus removal program.

The downloaded version is a 30 day, Fully Functional, free trial.

Use the Free Trial to clean up a Dirty system or buy the retail license to have a year of

full service plus updates. Download "Trojan Hunter" here:

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

From the web page, just click "Download Free Trial Version"

It's a 5.9 meg download.

Spybot Search & Destroy, a great anti Spyware program.

Can be downloaded from:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...id,22262,00.asp

For instructions on how to set up Spybot for best operation,

See my Spybot Setup instructions on this webpage.

AdAware SE/Personal. Another top notch anti Spyware program.

Can be downloaded from:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Spyware Blaster, a great Spyware Blocker.

Protects both I.E. and Mozilla Firefox.

Can be downloaded from:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html

ANTI-VIRUS PROTECTION:

AVG 7.5 FREE:

World famous AVG FREE will keep your computer free of viruses, trojans, dialers, etc.

By default, it updates and scans for viruses on a daily basis.

Can be downloaded from:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

Scroll down the page to the orange area and then click on:

avg75free_430a848.exe (or the currently posted version)

Save to your desktop and run the install from there.

Immediately get updates. More than one may be required.

If she had taken it to any Service Center, like the Geek Squad at Best Buy, they would have just reformatted the HD and run the factory restore procedure. Sorry....I don't work that way. :no:

I began by installing all the latest versions of AVG, AdAware, Spybot and Trojan Hunter (free Trial).

Many viruses and spyware were found and removed by AVG, AdAware and Spybot, but the little

PC was still slow and very unresponsive. To just get the context menu for the desktop, took almost

a full minute.

OK it was Trojan Hunter's turn. T.H. found over 60 instances of trojan activity on that little PC.

Once all that was removed by T.H., the little laptop began to once again run like a real computer.

After a thorough HD cleaning and a complete Defrag, things were pretty much back to normal.

This entire process was accomplished over a six hour period, while I did a retune on Dad's computer and installed a new Dell Laptop for dad.

The only time I regret being in the computer repair business, is when people just won't do what I tell them or use the FREE software I give them to keep their computers safe from Malware.

While I agree with most of the software choices for anti-spyware, taking 6 hours for one PC is not practical in my opinion. I had to spend 8 hours on a PC a while back and even had to call in to M$ to get the OS activated for my mother-in-law. I decided from that point on to invest some time into some automated methods of installing good software to reduce the hours spent. Most PC shops that get busy need to do things as fast as possible to try and not get swamped by PCs needing fixing. I did my workterm experience in a tech shop and now how busy and slow it can get.

I agree that it is frustrating when people don't do as you instruct them. However, if you're giving them RegClean, for example, they are justified in not following such advice. CCleaner and NTRegOpt or RegCompact.Net, Avast, Comodo, Opera, IrfanView/XnView, OpenOffice, Media Player Classic, QT/Real Alternative, maybe a few others I'm not thinking about are all they need. All freeware.

• 1 month later...