Unattended with Activation

If your like me you reformat your computer about as often as you change your socks. What I am wondering is how to do is if I create a dvd for a specific computer is it possible to have the installation activated before it is even installed. That is to say in 44 days I buy Vista, can I set up the unattended to use that key to install it already activated so I do not have to deal with doing it each time I redo the computer.

Yes you can. Simply install the flavor of vista you want to use in say vmware customize it and add all your applications including activation, then simply take an image of it - then you can automate a system restore anytime you like and the system will already be ready to use.

Thanks Felix, never thought of doing it that way. So simple yet - well lets just say too many dead brain cells here

welcome - just don't sysprep it... no need to if you are restoring to the same machine... if you sysprep it it will have to reactivate.

cluberti is correct, the hardware virtualized by VMware is not close enough to the actual hardware on your computer and after moving the image to your actual PC it will most likely require reactivation.

Thanks, if I take that route I will make the image from the PC it is intended for.

make sure you read up on the New Activation guidelines.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...lan/volact.mspx

Vista should not be activated with a unattended installation anymore, rather after first boot and connection to a network/internet the Vista machine with connect to a KMS (key management Server) to activate vista

make sure you read up on the New Activation guidelines.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...lan/volact.mspx

Vista should not be activated with a unattended installation anymore, rather after first boot and connection to a network/internet the Vista machine with connect to a KMS (key management Server) to activate vista

Is KMS the only way to activate it w/ an unattended install? I'm so confused.

cluberti is correct, the hardware virtualized by VMware is not close enough to the actual hardware on your computer and after moving the image to your actual PC it will most likely require reactivation.

How do you move the image out of VMware environment?

Do you use a external reader to read the virtual disk?

Thanks! :)