Tweak for consistent Windows Vista’s Fonts!

XPero

Fix Vista's Fonts  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will you like this to be included in vLite tweaks?

• Yes, it would make Vista nicer and more consistent
    • No, I prefer default mix of fonts in Vista dialogs

Will you like this to be included in vLite tweaks?

From Chris Pirillo:

I'm not happy that Microsoft has added yet another shell font to the mix with Windows Vista: Segoe UI. On its own, Segoe UI is an awesome font - but when it's slapped up against Tahoma, MS Sans Serif, Microsoft Sans Serif, and/or Arial - it's no longer a clean user experience. In fact, Vista is downright messy when it comes to shell fonts - with some aliased faces reaching back to the days of Windows 3.11!

These blatant font oversights were shoved onto the backburner for the sake of (a) 100% backwards compatibility and ( B) time. However, that didn't stop me from diving into REGEDIT and setting things straight. The good news? I believe I've figured out how to make everything inside of Windows Vista stick to Segoe UI. It's a subtle, yet radical, transformation.

Full Article

Purpose of this poll is to make me put it.

lmao! But yeah, 1 font all-over would be better IMHO. I know some people would consider that like eating only one color of Skittles all the time, but that's why 0 and 1 exist. ;)

I think it would be a great idea, as an option if at all possible.

I've used that Registry file Pirillo offers, and the only real downside to it is that some content just doesn't fit in dialogs or onscreen properly anymore, and I've never really found out why. He does mention it in that article, so kudos to him for doing that - stating the positives while not leaving out the negatives.

For me, it does make a noticeable difference overall, and I suppose he does have a point: it's silly to have so many interface fonts when just having a nice single fontface for the entire GUI seems to be the best possible idea from a design standpoint.

So, if it's possible to make it as an option in vLite, go for it, but it needs to be optional.

bb

ps

I voted Yes, obviously. :D

pss

If you read through the comments at the end of Pirillo's article, you'll find that someone also created a Registry file to reverse the whole thing as easily as you can make it happen. So those of you that are curious about what this can really do, you should look for that linkage down on the comments and try it with the "fixed" fonts, then reverse it if you're not happy. I can't imagine why you wouldn't however... I think it looks great all over with the "fix" in place... YMMV

Edited by br0adband

I think a better option would be something along the lines:

"Consistently apply the following font across the Windows UI:" [font list]

So that way, if people like the idea of having a single font across Vista but don't like Segoe UI could still use the tweak to apply another font.

lol

give us at least 2 screenshots showing the same thing with and without the patch so that we could clearly see a difference..

right no, i would vote for NO.. segoe UI looks like a nice font to me.. i've been using it a lot since several months..

lol

give us at least 2 screenshots showing the same thing with and without the patch so that we could clearly see a difference..

right no, i would vote for NO.. segoe UI looks like a nice font to me.. i've been using it a lot since several months..

I could have said it differently :) but I totally agree