Quickie question about nLite setting

I'm working on an unattended install of XP Pro (alas, no VLK, which creates a whole host of frustrations but that's another gripe for another time) and I'm playing around with NLite. So far it seems like a great little utility, but one setting has some pretty poor wording and I'm trying to figure out how it's supposed to work.

The "Patches" tab near the end with the 4 settings on it has, as its last option, a setting regarding file protection that can allegedly reduce the duration of the installation procedure rather dramatically. Unfortunately, the description and toggle have just enough repeat uses of the words "enable" and "disable" to give me a stonking case of head-a-splode-itis.

So, then, does the setting here refer to SFC itself, or to whether the setting is turned on or off? i.e. By leaving this tweak "Enabled," does one leave SFC "Enabled" as well, or am I enabling the disabling of SFC?

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone have any experience with the longer-term effects of this setting? Does it actually speed up installation as it says, and are there any problems that can arise down the line? This is for a business so it needs to be reliable more than it needs to have a speedy installation.

Thanks a ton, I appreciate it much.

I'm working on an unattended install of XP Pro (alas, no VLK, which creates a whole host of frustrations but that's another gripe for another time) and I'm playing around with NLite. So far it seems like a great little utility, but one setting has some pretty poor wording and I'm trying to figure out how it's supposed to work.

The "Patches" tab near the end with the 4 settings on it has, as its last option, a setting regarding file protection that can allegedly reduce the duration of the installation procedure rather dramatically. Unfortunately, the description and toggle have just enough repeat uses of the words "enable" and "disable" to give me a stonking case of head-a-splode-itis.

So, then, does the setting here refer to SFC itself, or to whether the setting is turned on or off? i.e. By leaving this tweak "Enabled," does one leave SFC "Enabled" as well, or am I enabling the disabling of SFC?

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone have any experience with the longer-term effects of this setting? Does it actually speed up installation as it says, and are there any problems that can arise down the line? This is for a business so it needs to be reliable more than it needs to have a speedy installation.

Thanks a ton, I appreciate it much.

Actually, your last suggestion is right, as "Enabling" the Patch will "Disable" the SFC.

You could have seen the "Disable (default)" as the "Default behavior of enabling SFC" :)

And, I have, in every installation of Windows since the dawn of nLite, enabled the disabling, and my systems run smoothly. On the other hand, if your business has many users that try to fiddle with the windows internal drivers, it could save a hard working day, so it ultimately is your choice. Besides, it really speeds up install times...

Just my 2 cents,

C.RAZY

Great, thanks much. I kinda figured it would enable the disabling, since they recommend it so highly and the default is what it is. They gots to fix the wordses though.

Most of our users probably don't even know what a driver is, so I doubt we'll have any problems. Looks like I'll be telling SFC to get lost from now on!

Thanks a million.