Error message when installing KB923689

CLASYS

I use the QFECHECK-type program available in KB282784 (Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP Hotfixes) and haven't ever had this problem before. For all other updates, either no complaint or at most a reboot and in an extremely rare instance actually reinstall the relevant update.

But for the recent KB923689 (and no other old or recent update!) Qfecheck always gives

KB923689: This hotfix should be reinstalled.

Of course I have a sea of other fixes installed (and all of them are "Current on system." as they should be), but this is the only one that ever failed to correct for obvious reasons, if applicable.

Also, KB923689 cannot be uninstalled, so a reinstall is probably not doing much.

My system is XP SP2 with Media Player 9 then upgraded to 10 then 100% current as of two weeks ago with all patches from WU, except I hid IE 7 and didn't install it, then apply the KB923689 from either Windows Update or a download [doesn't seem to matter; tried this on several systems already both ways to install, etc.). I have three similar machines and they all get the same end result. I also have a GHOST image of where I was two weeks ago back before "patch tuesday" if that is helpful, etc.

Note that Windows Update itself is perfectly fine with the update being installed, i.e., after you install it, they don't ask you to install it, etc.

I know this could be a bug of the Qfecheck, but maybe they miswrote something in the update? [Note: MS screwed up exactly a a parallel thing in Win98 about a year ago. Some MSFN forum members fixed it by providing a patch for the registry info that was the culprit; qfecheck WAS correct to complain in that case! Unfortunately, this NT-family Qfecheck gives out a whole lot less info than the 9x version.)

Can someone provide a list of what registry changes this update is supposed to perform? It's possible the registry is erroneusly reporting WMP 9-related info (I use WMP 10) or somesuch. [To my knowledge, the only thing the update does is update WMVCORE.dll to an appropriate rev for a WMP 9 situation or a WMP 10 situation; perhaps the registry doesn't match what a WMP 10 situation actually is?)

Thanks for the help,

cjl