Deploying WinPE ISO Image

Asin

So I found this Microsoft Knowledge Base article about deploying WinPE images.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304992

It mentions that you can deploy ISO images, but the creation process makes it sound like you can't just any WinPE ISO since it needs the i386\system32 folder.

There's a WinPE ISO inside this customized ISO, which is where some of the files the articles asks for are. I copy those after I mount the ISO in the ISO.

This doesn't appear to work though. I run into the "PXE-E55: proxyDHCP service did not reply to request on port 4011." error.

I have Scope Option 66 set to the IP of the RIS Server and Scope Option 67 set to "RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\WINPE". I don't know if this is right since it's my first time setting up RIS. I've tried many variations on Option 67, including not using it.

Does anyone see something that I'm doing wrong? Also, can I use this customized ISO which has a different folder structure?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Asin

So if I have my RIS Server on a domain in which the domain controller is its own DNS Server, one that is different from the one assigned by DHCP, the FQDN won't work will it?

Just to be clear, Option 67 needs to be set to '\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\WINPE\i386\templates\STARTROM.COM' in this case right?

So if I have my RIS Server on a domain in which the domain controller is its own DNS Server, one that is different from the one assigned by DHCP, the FQDN won't work will it?

No, you'll have to add an entry to your DNS server that the client is going to get via DHCP for this server for RIS to work.

Just to be clear, Option 67 needs to be set to '\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\WINPE\i386\templates\STARTROM.COM' in this case right?

On a Windows 2000 or 2003 RIS server, option 67 should point to:

\OSChooser\i386\startrom.com