6 things you don't like about Vista

Spooky

1. can't install Wingroove and No Crystal FM synthesis Midi output.

2.screen flashes black and a prompt appears to install or view system files.

3. doesn't come with all previous window pictures, ect.

4.Can't change login picture.

5.s***ty programs and things already installed.

6.No Microsft Sam voice

7.Bad internet connections.

@nensondubois: Hey, that was 7! :)

@idontwantspam:

You complain about some things that I actually think are good things:

[*]System requirements. Yuk. The computer crawls at 512mb ram.

It's about freakin' time that hardware vendors ship machines with 1GB or more of RAM - it's been affordable (especially in bulk) for many years, but amounts are kept down for 2 reasons - 1, no real good usage of it and 2 - something to upsell. Let us start actually getting machines out there with 2GB of RAM or more as the norm, so we can do more with them - most people don't want to try and run Windows on 128MB of RAM, they want features (and those usually come with memory requirements). Features sell product, and I'm all for them, personally.

[*]The logon prompt. Bring back the NT style logon prompt!! I know it's not all pretty, but I much prefer the "Classic" logon prompt, where you can select the domain, and then type the username and password. Much more professional; much fewer resources needed. Better. Also, the fast-user-switching setup is lame. If I lock the computer, anyone else can still log on by pressing Switch User. It doesn't secure the computer for you and ONLY you. Yes, I know it can be disabled. Good thing. Also, there's nowhere to type the user name, so an admin can't unlock the computer if someone else is logged on!

Noooooooooooo!!!! Again I have to disagree with you on this one, even in domain environments. The old-style winlogon methods do not allow for fast-user switching, and also allowed developers to do things in winlogon that they absolutely should not be doing there (*cough*pcanywhere*cough*). Do away with the old style winlogon and use one common interface that is easy for everyone to use and understand, including home users. Oh, and fast user switching on domains is a good thing in my book, which you just can't do if the old-style winlogon box is the default. I don't have anything against it, per-se, but I'm not giving up FUS just so you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to log in :).

[*]What's up with the press ALT to get the menus? Just leave them there.

Users generally want things to be simpler when possible, and how many people really, honestly, actually use the file menu on a regular basis (the answer is very, very few - trust me, this was studied to death before it was removed). Normal, consumer and rank-and-file business employees do just about everything with the mouse, even in explorer. The biggest use of the file menu? File > Save. And that's about it. Give me back my screen real-estate, and I'll press ALT if I need those menus (and it really is very rare).

[*]Start menu. :puke: Bring back the XP start menu.

No again - leave me with the new start menu, which is not only much better at learning which 6 or 10 or whatever applications to line up in the recently used list, but also allows me to run commands and search my machine just by pressing the windows key on the keyboard or clicking the start button. After using that extensively since RC1, you'll not find me going back to the XP way of doing things ever again if it can be avoided.

[*]Why, oh WHY did it take me TEN MINUTED (literally!!) to find the network connections place? Where i could configure the ethernet adapters? Control panel > networking, much around, no, not here, my network places (hard to find...) look for link, no not there... ARRGGH!

Because, again, it should "just work". Home users and rank-and-file business users don't use the control panel and don't generally configure network settings. Again, simplification is almost universally preferred over complexity, especially with the Windows user-base. And I also approve of that, too - even though I do like to tweak things on initial setup, once it's done, I don't ever touch the control panel settings again.

I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree, but I wanted to counter some of your points because I do feel the exact opposite on them.

Well, I agree with you about the RAM thing, and I've only tried it on lower-end machines in the RAM department. So I'll let you have that one.

Well, yes and no. They kind of do if you employ some little registry hacks. I don't like FUS, and I don't like the way it's implemented in Vista, particularly what I said about locking the computer. There should at least be an option to use the regular interface or the older interface. And no-one did much of anything to winlogon, but they did stuff to GINA, which can cause problems (cough*novell client for windows*cough*and many others*cough*) Press C-A-D twice? I only ever have to press it once. And vista does actually let you require Ctrl-Alt-Del; take a look at the group policy. Good thing! FUS and Ctrl-Alt-Del can live together.

Menus... I guess I rarely use them, now that I think about it, but I was very confused trying to find them. Whatever.

Well, on the start menu thing, they could at least have the option. I did away with the six-lat-used-things deal and just set the # of icons to 0, set it to small icons, and put in my own permanent links. I like that. I don't like having the panel which changes instead of the menus spreading across the screen. It's easier to see all my programs when it does it the XP way. The Run thing is nice, true, but they could incorporate that into the XP-style menu.

Exactly what I'm saying!!! It is too complex to get there - what's wrong with double-click on the icon, choose properties, and configure what I need to configure?! Now I get some network-thingamajig when double-clicking the icon.

So, i guess it's up to personal taste.

I don't get why people complain about UAC! It's there for your protection!

UAC may be for "some" protection, but it was mainly implimented to force developers to code thier apps for standard users and not assume everyone is an administrator.

OT:

1. Fix the inconsistency’s in the UI and get rid of the blacked out areas that don't get displayed. (sound control in the tray)

2. Bring back H/W accelerated sound.

3.) Lean & Mean default, not big & bloated default. All bloat should be optional. There should be a core, stripped down OS that installs and does the basics as simply and quickly as possible. A user should be able to add only what they want or need when they want or need it.

4 Fix the bugs in the file management routines. It's not very reassuring when you try to copy 50 megs worth of files only to have it go so super slow or just give up and present you with an out memory error box. Maybe Superfetch should actually release some of that memory back when it's actually needed? I WENT BACK TO XP BECAUSE OF THIS.

5. Fix UAC. Why should I have to elevate to create a folder and then have to reelevate yet again just to rename that same folder. Why not allow the create and rename in the same process. Why should users have to elevate just to VIEW the control panel settings? Why should users have to elevate in the first place just to be able to get in and chage an account specific item?

6. Get rid of the really old stuff (POSIX & OS/2, Windows 1.x, 2.x support) and clean house a bit.

7. See #3

Edited by MrCobra

1. The Start Menu. Why can't we have an XP-like Start Menu? Why was it dropped? I'd like to see an XP style Start Menu.

2. The ability to remove file associations. This was in everything from Windows 95 to XP, but removed for Vista. Why? People may accidentally associate the wrong program with a file type, but there is no way to un-do it without opening up the Registry Editor.

3. A truly "classic" Explorer look. The folder view on the left doesn't have the lines showing how the folders are connected, and the Toolbar was removed. Why?

4. Power settings are too hidden / confusing. I have to dig through window after window to stop my hard drives from powering off, or make the Shut Down button on the Start Menu actually shut the computer down! Even then, I still have to run Disk Cleanup to remove the Hibernation file. Too many steps and too many things hidden all over!

5. The new Display Properties window. Instead of the single window with tabs, we now have multiple windows that aren't attached to each other, and some that are hidden within links in other windows.

Edit:

6. Just like the poster above me said. The double UAC prompt when making folders. I'm prompted when the New Folder is made, then prompted again when I name it.

Edited by Xenomorph

How they took things out:

They researched patterns of usage of the menus and everything and decided that -- let's say 54 per cent -- of people use only this feature -- i.e. left click only, or adaptive menus or... (insert any of the features listed above). So they made that thing default and said -- screw all others. Same with office 2007.

Next thing you know you'll be called a terrorist if you don't use hibernate.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

The latest Offering from Microsoft's DOS stable,Windows Vista has come under heavy criticism by numerous companies and groups.Criticisms of Windows Vista have included concerns about the security implications of the large amounts of new code, the inclusion of a number of new Digital Rights Management technologies aimed at restricting the copying of digital media, and the usability of the new User Account Control security technology.Additionally, reviewers have noted similarities between the Vista interface and that of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Concerns have also been raised about many PCs not meeting "Vista Premium Ready" hardware requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I have with Vista is that if you have an old graphics card you have to put up with the butt ugly 'Vista Basic' theme. Would it have killed MS to make a Nice, good Aero based theme that just didn't have the transparency crap?