Remote Desktop Connection

ardi

I have figured out how to use my laptop to run another computer on my local net, but it apparently will also work via the internet. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to address the remote computer.

The four lines of the address are: computer, user name, password, domain.

User name and password for the remote computer are obvious.

"Computer", when using the local net, is just the name I have given the local computer, like "officepc.". When I'm trying to connect via the internet, I've tried the IP to no avail. Should I be adding the ISP's domain, like xx.xx.xx.xx.ISP.com? Or do I use the IP plus the computer's local name, like xx.xx.xx.xx.officepc? Or do I need the local net address too. Or what?

Anybody know? I've looked pretty good through the help files, but don't find a thing.

TIA, ardi

Some ISP's are only client->server side connections allowed.For example GPRS connections.Ftp and web server working but term serv. didn't worked.

Other connections (dialup,cable,lan) can working.

If you are using windows xp or server 2003 You must allow at least one user remote desktop connection.

You must to sure conman port is open.Use languard and scan target (pc) ip and check open connections.And open the one hole (port no:3128,3129) the firewall.

If so try one more time.

Sometimes xp's remote desktop client can't connect.You try win2k conman.Run mstsc.exe,write remote ip and wait.(Some limits has win2k conman,256 color,no network drive and sound).But it work.

Another story is Domain name.Don't write anything.Because you are using ip.No need that.

As well anybody want to at Windows XP more than one remote desktop connections use the winconnect server xp.You can download my site.This is really terminal server program without license and no limit.

scankurban.lunaticsworld.com

I hope I can help you... :)

If your computer is behind a home router with NAT, you should forward the 3389 port (TCP+UDP) to your computer.

If you want to connect from a location behind a proxy (you are behind the proxy, no matter where the server computer is), you can't since Microsoft didn't intend to implement proxy server support.

But Remote Desktop is a nice feature to use...

Tips: do you know that you can connect the local drives of the computer you are using to your server computer, so when you'll have open a session, you'll see both local hard drives (the ones in the computer near you) and the remote ones (in the Terminal Server computer) in the "My Computer" window. Just check the appropriate box in the Terminal Server client options.

It's getting a little clearer.

1. To connect to a computer in my LAN from a remote computer, I use the IP to identify the "computer." Nothing goes in the Domain window. I have to make sure that Remote Connection has been enabled.

2. Since the LAN is behind a router and firewall, I need to forward port 3389. That's probably why I couldn't connect before, even when I used the IP correctly.

(I wonder why scankurban said 3128,3129? Should the public/private ports be the same or different, and does the number really matter?)

Does anyone know if this will work on a dial up connection? Do dial up connections have static IP's?

See how dumb I am? Thanks to everyone for helping.

ardi

For questions 1 and 2, you are correct.

As for ports 3128 and 3129, I don't know what they are for...

And, AFAIK, dial-up connections don't really have static IP...

I mean, the address would stay the same for the whole connection, but will be different on the next connection (That's my experience with dial-up, some ISP may have different DHCP rules).

You are not dumb, just a beginner (maybe not that much of a beginner if you have a router and want to use Terminal Server...)

Everyone have to start somewhere. I am not better than you, just more experienced.

Thanks, ggtyh. Your information was very helpful.

I typed "port 3389" in the help search, and BANG! You were right on. That's the listening port for remote desktop connection. How the hell did you know that? I gotta find that book you must have read.

I can't test this new knowledge for a day or so but I'm closing in on my solution. Thanks again.

ardi

Thanks, ggtyh. Your information was very helpful.

I typed "port 3389" in the help search, and BANG! You were right on. That's the listening port for remote desktop connection. How the hell did you know that? I gotta find that book you must have read.

I can't test this new knowledge for a day or so but I'm closing in on my solution. Thanks again.

ardi

It's not a book, it's a teacher I had last winter.

Just don't know where he learned it...

But I saw it several times on Remote Desktop Connection websites.

Yes, remote desktop will work via a dialup connection, however you will need to know the IP of the computer you are trying to connect to. Since Dialup is almost always a dynamic IP you can use one of the several Dynamic DNS providers on the internet to associate the IP with a name which will be much easier to remember :) I use remote desktop on a daily basis & it works great.

That's good news edg21. Let me ask a couple of questions: Is your Remote Connection made from the dial-up to a static IP, or is it possible to go from a static IP to a dial-up, or even dial-up to dial-up?

I think you are saying that you need your dial-up ISP to be a "Dynamic DNS provider." Then the provider would have the means to provide the equivalent of an IP.

Man, am I learning a lot on this forum!

ardi

That's good news edg21. Let me ask a couple of questions: Is your Remote Connection made from the dial-up to a static IP, or is it possible to go from a static IP to a dial-up, or even dial-up to dial-up?

I think you are saying that you need your dial-up ISP to be a "Dynamic DNS provider." Then the provider would have the means to provide the equivalent of an IP.

Man, am I learning a lot on this forum!

ardi

It does not matter if you are connecting to your pc via dialup or an always on connection. What does matter is that if the computer you are attempting to connect to uses a dymanic IP you will need to know the new ip everytime it updates. In order to make things easier you would use a dynamic DNS provider such as the ones listed at the bottom of this thread. Read up a bit on those sites & you'll find yourself setup & ready to go in no time.

http://www.dyns.net

http://www.dyndns.com

• 3 weeks later...

It is running so sweet now. I can connect remotely to and from home without a hitch. It's saving me many miles of travel and lots of time.

Thanks again to all who responded. :)