Buh bye XP

kartel

Until M$ changes the EULA in Vista, there's no way I'm dropping any amount on that OS.

Specifically I'm talking about the rule that says that we are only allowed to reinstall the OS once. The problem is that if they define what constitutes a "new PC" to strictly, I may have just spent too much money on a pretty graphics OS.

I'd LOVE to have DX10, but I'm not payin $400 for it.

That may be the proposed schedule now but I bet it will be extended. Many businesses and universities replace machines on a four year cycle and it will take more that 2 years to get non Vista ready systems replaced with vista compatible systems.

And has any OS actually been lifecycle ended on time? maybe WinME?

Until M$ changes the EULA in Vista, there's no way I'm dropping any amount on that OS.

Specifically I'm talking about the rule that says that we are only allowed to reinstall the OS once. The problem is that if they define what constitutes a "new PC" to strictly, I may have just spent too much money on a pretty graphics OS.

Not sure about the rest but I use business and it does not say that...

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use sections below, you may not use the software on any other device.

15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.

a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.

where does it say once?

Are you confused with anytime upgrade?

Edited by jaws75

The "reinstall once" hubbub was rescinded for RTM - it's basically the same as XP with regards to reinstallation, although reactivation may not work online after one or two retries. YMMV, but from what I understood from the EULA changes, it basically went back to XP's reinstallation/reactivation requirements.

And as far as XP support, it goes into extended support in 24 months or so, but it's still supported with an extended support agreement, and security updates will still be released - heck, they're still being released for W2K, as it doesn't officially *end* support until 10 years after it's release, same with XP. It's just that consumer support ends when "extended support" begins, and only customers with SA and an extended support agreement can get non-security change hotfixes from that point on. Security updates continue until the product is 10 years old, and then support for that product drops. For reference, extended support for W2K ends in 2010.

If POS you mean Piece of s***, Windows 98 isn't anywhere near the POS WinME is.

Yes with POS, I mean piece of sh*t. Both Windows 98 and Windows ME are piece of sh*t operating systems. Windows ME was slightly worse, but not much. The bottom line is, they both suck. Windows 2000 and Windows XP are light years ahead of Windows 98 and Windows ME, even for their respective times.