2 screens with 2 adapters...

kennetm

I want to connect 2 screens to my Windows XP. I think it would be the best to have 2 display adapters. Sceen1 will be placed on my desc, and screen2 is placed on the wall where my colleagues can see it.

What kind of adapters can I use together with the "old" one? The adapter in use today is "Matrox Graphics Millenium G200 AGP".

Hope somebody out there can help me...

Thanks!

Kenneth

What do you want to do? clone the display? or have seperate displays? if you want to clone the display i'm pretty sure you'd need a card that supported dual head

If you like matrox the old g400's are quite cheap now! used to have one, pretty good card! although only the g450 seem to be avaliable

Personally i think it would be easier just to buy a cheap radeon or nvidia card which has dual vga, can get cards very cheap now, you can get a radeon 7000 card with dual vga for under £20! actualy I don't think they make cards with only one vga port anymore?

Yes,

you can use either

1) two cards with single video output

or

2) a single video card with twin video output.

If you have an old card laying around, method one is cheaper, otherwise method 2) is better as it is simpler to setup.

For method one, it is better if the two cards use different BUSes (if your actual Video card is AGP, other one has to be PCI and viceversa, ISA is a VERY OLD standard, that I doubt you still have on your PC).

if you want to clone the display i'm pretty sure you'd need a card that supported dual head

Just for the record, if you want to replicate the output to another video (i.e. SAME contents on both screens) all you need is a VGA splitter, something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...sp?EdpNo=525173

jaclaz

Thank you jaclaz!

Then I'll go for 2 seperate videocards(VGA).

Is it easy to install? I think XP have this feature already?

Yes, even Win98 supports this. Just buy (or find) a PCI videocard, then it's easy to set up.

Edited by Naki

one possible problem with this.

older PCI video cards are hit and miss whether they support being secondary cards. Some will definitely not work at all if they are not the boot-up vidcard.

Best bet by far is to get a new card with dual outputs and use it.