WINPE 2.0 without ram

wrecklesswun

AS with winpe 1.x, you had the option to load an iso image into ram using the server 2003 build, or not by using winxpsp2. With winpe 2.0, all the images i've seen load a wim into memory then execute it. Well, what if you just want to boot winpe2.0 with loading into ram? What is the procedure for this? Or is it even possible?

WinPE2005 you have the possibility to load from cd without using a ramdisk or you can make a iso file that is loaded into memory before executed.

With WinPE2.0 the wim file is always load in memory before executed. You cannot load it like Winpe 2005 (Winpe from W2k3)

kyor

Edited by kyor

With WinPE2.0 the wim file is always load in memory before executed. You cannot load it like Winpe 2005 (Winpe from W2k3)
Well the WAIK sure states that it is possible and I have tested it so I beg to differ ... :)
Walkthrough: Boot Windows PE from Hard Disk

This walkthrough describes how to boot Windows PE directly from a hard disk but not into RAM disk, which enables you to start a computer for the purposes of deployment or recovery.

When you use this method there is no wim file, hence the boot is not done from memory.

• 2 weeks later...
So it can or cannot be done... i know from hd it can be done, but i could not get it to work for cd

Like ubernerd said: You can do it. Follow the steps from Walkthrough: Boot Windows PE from Hard Disk and at step 4 (BCDEdit) you need to replace partition=C: through boot. Got this information from Readme.rtf of WAIK.

Martin

Normally it's a VGA driver problem that causes this.

If you are testing on vmware using a RC build of Vista/WinPE 2.0 you will properly run into this problem, but you can force vmware to use 640x480 by editing the vmx file and insert svga.maxwidth="640" and svga.maxheight="480".

• 4 weeks later...