Forwarders

vw2fst4u

Heres my setup Ive got the server setup as a domain running DNS that also serves my internet connection and Im using Kerio winroute to share my internet connection to my other computers within my internal domain. When i initially configured DNS I set it to forward unresolved queries to my ISP's DNS server is this the ideal solution?

Or am missing something ? Dont get me wrong it works but what I want to know is my active directory secure from the the internet or do i need to do something more.

Vw2fst4uall....

You have done it correctly, from what I gather - the proper way to set things up is to point all internal machines at your internal DNS server only, and configure forwarding on your DNS server to your ISP's DNS servers. This is the way it should be configured.

How do I "configure forwarding on your DNS server to your ISP's DNS servers"? In network properties, I set primary DNS to the IP of the server and the secondary to the DNS IP of the ISP. When it was setup without the ISP's DNS, (I had all of the clients pointing to the server), the internet was painfully slow. It was the expected speed when primary dns was the server and secondary was the IP (on the server). The clients are confiured to getr dns automatically.

Also, what are reverse lookup zones?

How do I "configure forwarding on your DNS server to your ISP's DNS servers"? In network properties, I set primary DNS to the IP of the server and the secondary to the DNS IP of the ISP. When it was setup without the ISP's DNS, (I had all of the clients pointing to the server), the internet was painfully slow. It was the expected speed when primary dns was the server and secondary was the IP (on the server). The clients are confiured to getr dns automatically.

Also, what are reverse lookup zones?

configure it through the DHCP and not on each client ... as per reverse lookup zones, these are mappings of the computer name to the IP address so when you ping the host on the network using host name, DNS reverse lookup zone looks in the table and locate the IP address for the particular host ...