NetBios over Tcpip driver (NetBT)

GetCool

First of all, I'm fully aware that NetBIOS over TCP/IP isn't necessary to access SMB shares, if you're just using direct SMB over TCP port 445. This is proven by the fact that you can go into the TCP/IP properties of your LAN connection, go to Advanced > WINS, and click Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. After doing this, you can still access SMB shares by typing a UNC into Explorer (\\hostname [if the hostname is resolvable via DNS or the hosts file] or just an \\ip.address).

All of this was well and good when I was using nLite v1.0.1 and earlier. I could remove all the available networking components, and utilize all the available networking tweaks, with the exception of the Close Microsoft-DS port tweak, as this would close inbound and outbound TCP port 445 (see my previous post on this subject).

However, since I started using nLite 1.2.1, SMB functionality seemed to break when I use this same configuration. Not only can I not enter a \\hostname into Explorer, but I can't even enter an \\ip.address. Upon investigation, I discovered that the NetBT driver is disabled (via Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices > Non-Plug and Play Drivers > NetBios over Tcpip). Enabling this driver allows SMB functionality once again.

So, my questions are:

Why is the NetBT driver even needed when you're not using NetBIOS over TCP/IP?

What does NetBT have to do with anything when you're just using direct SMB over TCP port 445, and you're not using any name resolution (i.e. entering an \\ip.address directly in Explorer)?

Given that NetBT is, for some reason, needed, which option in nLite 1.2.1 is disabling the NetBT driver? nLite v1.0.1 didn't disable the driver (I am assuming, anyway) when all the networking components were removed and all the networking tweaks were used (except the SMB tweak).

Thanks for any input.

Edited by GetCool

Well, I just decided to experiment and figure it out myself.

It appears that the NetBIOS over TCP/IP driver (netbt.sys) is called "WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol Driver" in nLite. Also, it appears that SMB is, for some reason, tied into the NetBT driver, even if you're not using NetBT at all. The NetBT driver is required to run even if you're not using any kind of name resolution and just sticking to straight IP addresses.

I would suggest simply giving the NetBT driver the same name as appears in Device Manager, under "Non-Plug and Play Drivers": "NetBios over Tcpip". Seems reasonable to me.

Edited by GetCool