nLite 1.2.1 RAID Slipstream install on USB CD-ROM

douirc

Windows runs fine when I install XP using F6 with the floppy that came with the mobo, but like everyone else, I'd prefer to slipstream the drivers on the floppy so I don't have to use it anymore.

i've been through all the posts and I believe i'm getting very close to making this work, but i'm starting to wonder if my USB CD-ROM is what's screwing me up. From all the posts I've read, everyone is using an IDE drive and everything works fine. I'm wondering if anyone's had any luck using a USB CD-ROM.

To create my nlite cd, i start with my bare XP Pro cd, add SP2 and then add 'single driver' from the floppy, which inludes nForce Storage Controller and RAID Class Driver in TXT format.

Windows install detects the raid array, formats and copies the install files, reboots, completes the installation and reboots again to start Windows. This is when the machine either reboots or BSODs, and I'm trying to figure out if it's because my CD-ROM is connect via USB instead of IDE. I'm not sure why it would matter when I can manually do the installation using F6.

I'm running a DFI Expert with dual Raptors on the nVidia chipset.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by douirc

i FINALLY figured it out! unlike what the instructions say, i didn't slipstream SP2 and it finally worked! i made a copy of the floppy that came with the mobo, ran nlite and skipped the service pack option. i then pointed to the nvidia folder on the floppy using the 'single driver' option and choose the nvatabus.inf file, which listed every raid driver on the floppy. i only chose the first two: NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller and NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER. I created the iso file, burned it to disk and everything worked fine.

so...what can't i get it to work with SP2? I know my SP2 file is good 'cause i use it all the time when upgrading my XP to XP-SP2. The filename is WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe. I'd love to know how to make this work WITH sp2 instead of without it.

ok...i finally got everything working as required. i've got sp2 integrated, unattended mode, raid drivers and it's working like charm.

the catch was simply using the 'legacy' folder from the platform drivers instead of the sataraid folder. i would have never guessed. i basically chose 'single driver' during the driver section of nlite, pointed to the nvatabus.inf file in the legacy folder and choose both NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required) and NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required). it was as simple as that. i've done it now for both xp pro and xp mce 2005 and no problems.