Win2k Server an XP Clients on ICS

BAH

Hey guys......back for while thought id run this one past you....

Got a customer with a Win2K server set up for file sharing, it connects to 5 XP clients via a network.

Now the customer doesnt use the net that often and is reluctant to spend money on ISN or broadband so im stuck with a 56k connection.

I set the server up to use the ICS option for the 5 clients to access the internet, clients are using DHCP to connect tho the network.

It worked ok, not fantastic but ok forthe first few day then fell on its arse...

every time one of the clients tries to use the ICS the server creates an entry in the error log to the effect.....

Event Source: ipnathlp

Event ID: 31002

Description: The DNS proxy agent was unable to bind to the IP address 192.168.0.1 error code 1d 27 00 00.

Obveously the ICS uses 192.168.0.1 as the server IP. ive also tryed giving the clients static IP's

Ive un-configed ICS released and renewed the ip's rebooted the server and clients and it still wont work..

All hardware is Dell nad all s/ware is licenced.

Is the built in ICS worth messing with of should i force them down another route.

Personally the built-in ICS is not worth messing with, as like you say, it always falls on its arse. :)

If you cannot use a hardware-based NAT solution, then there are some software-based NAT applications that you can use such as Kerio WinRoute or Deerfield's WinGate. I've heard good things about Kerio's WinRoute, and the free lite version (if its still on the Kerio website) should be enough to match ICS capabilities as well as provide port forwarding and a DHCP server.

From what I've read in your message, the problem seems to be on the NAT daemon side...

Maybe that dll got corrupted...

But I'd go with AaronXp on that: use third party ICS software... Microsoft sometimes want to do too much, and then can't get anything to work correctly.