Getting WFP "Unrecognized version" errors whenever using nLi

Philomorph

nLite seems like a super-great tool, but the two times I've used it to create lite version of XP, I get these annoying errors popping up randomly or whenever I install anything on the system afterwards:

Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by an unrecognized version. To maintain system stability, windows must restore the original version of these files.

I've done both XP Home and XP Pro, each with SP2 slipstreamed and various junk removed from Windows. I removed nothing marked red or that sounded important.

The error requires that you put in the windows install CD and let it do its thing, or hit cancel. I certainly can't give a system to a client (friends & family, that is) and have it do this :)

Any suggestions?

Edited by Philomorph

You're not seriously using nLite for a "customer"'s machine are you?

Since I do tech support for a living, I sometimes call all my friends and family "clients" when I'm working on their systems. Haha. No, I don't build systems for money, as cool as that might be. Just everyone I know! My professional activities are strictly call center.

But I still don't want them having to deal with a weird error popping up. I'm doing my in-law's new system this week and errors aren't a good stocking stuffer.

As for turning off the windows file protection, I don't want it turned of permanently. Will turning it off during the install keep this error from popping up later when it's re-enabled?

No. The way nLite alters the files, breaks WFP. Turning it off during install will prevent the popups then, but once reenabled...windows periodically runs the scan to check file status, so it will show up again.

I would suggest not using nLite on any system that isn't your's or on someone's machine that knows what they're doing. You may find all the MS stuff a hassle, but In-Laws especially none tech savvy ones may not even know what you're talking about. I know, I can ramble off a few big words to the faculty at my university (I'm also tech support), and they'll instantly agree with my assesment because of my title and the vocabulary I'm using. Most of the time however, I'm just trying to educate them in that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". MS's stuff works fine out of the box, as intended.

No. The way nLite alters the files, breaks WFP. Turning it off during install will prevent the popups then, but once reenabled...windows periodically runs the scan to check file status, so it will show up again.

Aww man that's a real disappointment. I love the unattended install. What if you don't integrate anything new into windows (SPs, drivers, etc), or don't remove anything, but simply use it to answer all your questions up front. Will it still break WFP?

Slipstreaming is great but I can do that manually if I want.

This is a known issue.

It's more likely to give you that pop-up, sometimes a pop-under if SP2 is slipstreamed or integrated!

Sometimes, that message is a pop-under when I install a third party driver.

I can't recall getting that message if I install Windows XP without a service pack then install service pack 2.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP