RAMs... Star, Aeneon, Elxier, Spectek

MGadAllah

Is that Elixir RAM? If so it will be the best in your list,
I've been told the same opinion, I will get it very soon ...Thanks
the worst one is Spectek, that´s just plain crap.
Spectek for RAMs remind me with Norton for anti virus...same crap...Thanks

jcarle, never tried other ones? There are so many brands that are the same quality as the ones you list up.

I prefer to use A-DATA, Transcend, TwinMOS and many others, any time above Kingston Value RAM for example.

And believe me, I know what crap is. Working 3 years as a RMA manager fro a big Dutch company that was selling all types of ram will give you enough inside what is, and what is not.

It’s simple, if they are remarket chips, leave them (80% crap). If they say Samsung or other REAL BRAND then 80% will be okay. I’m not scared to buy ANY OEM brand because I know the market.

the worst one is Spectek, that´s just plain crap.
Agreed. It's as if they're pre-overclocked already. I had a stick of Spectek DDR400 (200MHz) that would start giving errors at only 202MHz and upping the voltage all the way to 3.6v wouldn't make them go away, that's a 1% overclock which should be tolerable, in fact small drifts in the clock ±1MHz are normal and in this case might cause failure.

jcarle, never tried other ones? There are so many brands that are the same quality as the ones you list up.

I prefer to use A-DATA, Transcend, TwinMOS and many others, any time above Kingston Value RAM for example.

And believe me, I know what crap is. Working 3 years as a RMA manager fro a big Dutch company that was selling all types of ram will give you enough inside what is, and what is not.

It’s simple, if they are remarket chips, leave them (80% crap). If they say Samsung or other REAL BRAND then 80% will be okay. I’m not scared to buy ANY OEM brand because I know the market.

Quite possibly, but you know, when I buy a Toyota, I like to buy a Toyota from Toyota. Then I'm sure I get a Toyota. If I buy a car under a different brand name which is supposed to be a Toyota under the badge, I still can't prove without doubt or uncertainty that I bought a Toyota. I value quality above all else, including price.

jcarle, listen, it’s just the PCB you are buying from the brands that you sum up, none of them make there own chips. You just can talk about brand-on-brand and brand-on-3rd. You like brand-on-3rd and there is nothing wrong with that, you just pay a bit more. More and more brands give lifetime warranty, and that’s a good thing to see, although it could be marketing too with some brands.

The only brands to stay away from are the ones who use remarked chips, like Spectec (The one with the Superman logo).

I think that I know what you are thinking, and you will be right on that point: Some brands, like the brands you sum up, give a speed warranty with a bigger tolerance then others, so when you OC you will need the ones with bigger tolerance or an higher model.

With that said I can tell you that you will be better of buying a higher model, in speed, witch is almost the same price by the way, then another brand that is more expensive.

There are also the “extreme” models, well, that is a totally other story. Those have specially selected chips, mostly tested in there labs before implementing, that can take more speed. Those chips are used above there specs. This is when you will get stuck with OZC and other brands.

A Toyota isn’t build 100% by Toyota by the way, non of the car brands are. It’s just Assembled by Toyota, like brand-on-3th...

Dude, I like to argue a bit with you on MSN ;).

Well sure, manufacturers can't get everything manufactured from scratch. Some things come pre-built and are assembled.

My caution stems from something along this idea:

OCZ picks up some chips from Infineon. OCZ takes the best ones as sell them as their Platinum line. The ones that don't qualify but are still good, get packaged up as their Value line. When you buy an OCZ Platinum or an OCZ Value, you know what you're getting.

Now let's use company X, let's call them SuperClockers.

Say SuperClockers buys OCZ's Value ram at DDR2 533MHz and find it will sustain 667MHz with a bit of a voltage boost. Well SuperClockers takes OCZ's Value ram and rebadges as their SuperClockers SuperRAM 667MHz with new voltages for a new profit. What do you think you'd end up with by buy their SuperRAM?

Not all companies are dishonest like that, but it's hard for the average person to know if they are or not. Figuring out what you bought by analyzing each of the individual chips can be complicated and time consuming. Buying from a trusted company, you know you don't have to worry.

Edited by jcarle