Getting new mobo, CPU

BigDaddy

I will be getting a new mobo and CPU 3days from now. Meaning I will need new drivers for CPU, SOUND, LAN, chipset. The rest of the system (burner, hdd, gpu, ram) will stay the same.

Is it possible to not do a new fresh install and still have a lean mean fighting Winblows and how?

Well, you just put in the new motherboard and boot up with the original XP hard drive. There's no gaurantee it will work 100%, but it should be alright. Meaning, you won't have the fastest system that can run on that setup. The best thing to do when changing a major piece of hard ware like that, is to reload.

You may have some issues with past hardware that was installed, or other software that is installed, so you are better off reloading the system. If you don't want to do this, however, you can still run the original install of XP on that system. There will be drawbacks to this method, and the biggest is speed. The system won't be optimized to run on the hardware at its fullest potential.

Do whichever you need, whether it be reload or just keep with the original install.

If the cpu or the new motherboard chipset are differents (for example cpu: amd to intel chipset: nvidia to sis) from the old ones then XP should not boot, if you don't make a sysprep before. You'll also need to activate again XP if you are not using a corporate XP.

Edited by allen2

Im moving from AMD SOCKET A to AMD SOCKET 754 and NFORCE 2 to NFROCE 3.

My major concern is SPEED! Since I'm using Windows only for some 3D gaming for the rest I use linux.

CYGNUS

So the only option to have a fast system is to do another reinstall?

Isn't there a REGISTRY KEY-ENUM which U delete and then restart the computer and Winblows will ask U again to reinstall all your drivers??

ALLEN2

Would SYSPREP help with the speed of the new Windows?

Edited by BigDaddy

Your best bet is to reload the system, if your going to be making a major change like this, why not spend a little bit of time and reload the system?

I have never heard of a reg key that will remove all your drivers :huh:

If you are really concerned with speed and no problems down the road your best bet is a clean install.

There are registry keys related to the hardware but the best way to remove a device is through the device manager.

If you wish to proceed without a clean install you have three options. Run sysprep before swapping out the motherboard and processor and have it run mini setup after replacement. Be sure to have sysprep load the mass storage drivers.

Install the chipset drivers for the new motherboard, including MSD before swapping motherboard and hope that they work when you swap.

Do a repair installation of XP if it doesn't boot.

So apperantly my only option is reinstall.

So B4 I start deleting Windows, Docs&Settings, Program Files, and C:\* from LINUX are there any settings I can save so I wouldn't need to set all the programs back to the way I want them?

Well, wat I back up is my entire user settings:

which is located:

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*

Also, view all files and folders: Tools > Folder oprions > View Tab > Select "Show Hidden files and folders"

So you can view all folders within the username's directory.

Thats what I do anyway.