Help me make a great nLite'd XP Install!?

PoserOfAllTrades

Greetings all!

I have attempted to create an nLite'd XP install disk a number of times and I always seem to fail somewhere. I want to use my own disk to make a small, fast and secure install. (so, do not reference me to download any of those "STRIPED TO TEH BONEZ LOLOL" install disks out on the web) I have tried a number of time to stip out thing I think I won't need but always mess something up.

What I am really asking for here is if there are any configuration files out there that get rid of all the really, truly useless crap without touching anything that might break something for someone.

Or, are there any docs out there that have longer, more clear descriptions of item removal? I have scoured the net looking for guides, config files, etc and I really don't know what do.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Edited by PoserOfAllTrades

Yeah, nLite works great but that's not the question here.

There is very little documentation on which components to remove, however I remember reading some threads on the subject a while ago.

The MSFN forums are the best source of info, you'll just have to find it...

Just don't expect it to be easy to create a nice and fully working nLited XP install that suits you perfect (including app installs and tweaks).

Quite some skills, experience and hard work is necessary.

LOTS of testing, in VMWare or VirtualPC, is required to find a configuration that works well. You may find one that works for the moment, but after a while when you get some new hardware or some new prog then problems might appear.

Remove only the components you know for sure you don't use, keep the ones you don't know.

You can tick the compatibility options to protect a few ones from removal.

Someone else probably has a fresh and working Last Session.ini for you, my current one needs some more work and is quite old.

Good luck!