KB817778

junale

hi, since i've moved the patch kb817778 to the textmode-protion of setup (CMDLINES.TXT) i get every time this "error": windows setup was executed with wrong parameter (btw. i have a german windows, so i don't know the exact english words).

then a window opens with all parameters of WINDOWS-SETUP opens...

anybody an idea?

Like This ?

*IMG]snipped*/IMG]

817778 is not ment to be added during the cmdlines section - it gives problems.

I do this with an inf file after the destop has started - but it may be possible to do it during guirunonce.

Exactly the same.... so i have to add this in inf-section....

thx

The advanced networking package is a side stream upgrade for the internal ip6 support and adds tentative P2P support for upcoming server products for integration. It has not been regression tested and will not be offered except as a stand alone upgrade to support those two technologies in windows xp but will be fully integrated supported in both the athena and blackcomb releases.

ip6 support is built into the base windows xp installation, enabled by command prompt switch and unless the p2p option is necessary for developer purposes. is an optional only. Not a required to have ip6 functionality

Yes, I read the MS description of the 817778 patch as well. I know what it is, what it is used for, and whether it is needed, now I'd like to know how to incorporate it into my setup. I played with it a bit when it came out, but had trouble installing, even from the command line. I got frustrated, determined the software to be at fault, as it did not behave as described in the documentation, and have not touched it since. Apparently, my strike did not encourage the powers that be to release a new version, so I am now looking for a work around. I'll try the command line Paul365 recommended, but I need it to run BEFORE the GuiReboot, as I'm done before that. Anyone else get it install? If so, which method?

as an alternate, if you really feel the need

you can try the inf from the unpack, but bear in mind..it will not load the additional options and will break the component add/remove in the shell. There is no fault in the installer, but there is no regression mechanism built into it to allow slipstreaming. only side streaming as its inf does not correspond to the txtsif

unpack to dest dir

cmdlines.txt with the update as executable with absolute path setting in the line directly before it.

you have a 50/50 chance of bsod and 75/25 of breaking the components shell.

But have fun anyway.

My ultimate goal here is to end setup that does not list any updates to do in Windows Update, critical or recommended. This is because there will always be someone who will do the update, as MS "recommends" it. I know it will happen: I've seen it often enough. For that reason I prefer to install before the end user, and adjust the system settings if need be. I think I prefer to fool Windows Update with the registry to than test the nightmare you propose! As i said earlier, I don't remember the details, but I could not even do a silent install from the command line without the afore mentioned error, and the switches I was using were all correct, as listed before my nose. What is even more strange, is this seems to be a typical type 1 hotfix, even if not listed as critical, so I thought it would be easy...

its not a hotfix at all, which is why you are having the problem

just an update and addon component, nothing more or less..just like dx 9

there is no slipstream mechanism for it either outside of the svcpack install route and it is that way by design for support reasons