WinVista and its weird behavior

sangwooksohn

While I am having much fun playing with Windows Vista Ultimate x64, there're some weird behaviors which I haven't been able to really figure out why or how it acts this way.

Here're what they are:

After clean install WinVista Ultimate x64, some unkown folders appear on desktop. I believe they are some GUID numbers, but I have no idea why they are there for.

tcmdrpb2th1.jpg

Total Commander 7.0 pb2 clearly shows these folders, but Windows Explorer won't show them even after enabling hidden and protected system files to be displayed.

Also, at this time, I have some issues with softwares that I install:

1. When using WinRAR 3.62 (install, run WinRAR self-extracting file), WinVista prompts application compatibility warning.

2. I cannot copy and paste file(s) from Total Commander 7.0pb2 to Windows Explorer (such as desktop) or drag and drop and vice versa.

However, after I play with WinVista quite a while (surfing, installing softwares, and so on), from some point, mentioned folders are gone.

tcmdr7pb2ti0.jpg

I have no idea how or why.

And after they are gone, WinRAR compatiblity warning are gone, and now I can copy and paste or drag and drop file(s) from TC to explorer and vice versa.

But, after I clean install WinVista again, I see mentioned GUID numbered folders again.

Does aynone know what's going on?

Thanks.

Sang

After series of reinstallation of Windows Vista Ultimate (English version) and Ultimate K (Korean version), I can confirm that mentioned issue is not something I can reproduce.

Ever since, I am not seeing these problems. I must have messed up at some point.

I am sorry for the confusion guys.

Thanks.

Sang

The first GUID is for shdocvw.dll, and the second GUID is supposed to represent the "Shared Folders" global folder. What it looks like is that there was something wrong with shdocvw, and instead of your system showing the "Shared Folders" icon, it was showing the GUIDs for the code path that would've been used (shdocvw would've been called to display the folder and it's icon, but instead of showing the Shared Folders folder, it showed a folder with the shdocvw GUID). It would also cause all of the other "User" folders that normally get displayed there to either not display, or display as GUIDs as well (which it looks like that is what happened from the screenshot to the Administrator's folder).

Problems with shdocvw would also cause drag-and-drop and other OLE problems as well, so that would also explain problems with programs that register with shell extensions.