Vista and laptop batteries

rebelo

Hi

I don't have Windows Vista yet but on my next laptop I will.

Does someone kwow wether it is possible to configure in the power options that it has the aero glass interface in AC-mode and the aero or basic interface in battery-mode? I read in articles that the aero glass interface drains the battery faster so this would be an interesting setting.

Another question: does the Home Premium edition have all the power-configuration options or is it usefull to pay more for the Ultimate edition?

Help with me writing the program...

If anyone here knows VB.NET or C# (or maybe C++.net), then I need some help:

I need the DeviceIoControl API to reduce the LCD backlight brightness - but it needs the device name, and when I pass it, it won't work. I use the GetDeviceDriverBaseName function - but I need a good sample to use it correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated (and will probably be rewarded with the program!).

WOW! :)

Thanks, I'll try and see if it'll work - in a few days or a couple weeks. :D

THANK YOU!!

P.S.: I also have problems with disabling devices - an example for that is also helpful. (OpenDriver, DriverProc, then CloseDriver; but the parameters are confusing.)

I tried - without success.

It seems like the CreateFile("\\\\.\\LCD",...) (or whatever that string was) returns -1. Is it always named "\\\\.\\LCD" for laptops, or could it be something like MONITOR, DISPLAY, DEFAULTMONITOR, or something else instead of LCD?

I'm not that pro at APIs... :D

I just need a template from which to copy and paste - and understand why it works. I am NOT a hardware guy (not even close).

*Edit:

I have tried API Monitor (without success) to monitor ALL API calls from ALL processes when I press Fn+F6 (which increases my screen brightness). But nothing comes up. :(

Edited by wfunction

How about turning off all the fancy gui? Reduce the high-end usage of your video card to save power. I know that my ati card slows down it's clock speed when on battery, but if you have all that eye-candy running, your card is running like mad.