Sata Hd VS Windows Vista

davidyeap88

you will need to load drivers for your SATA controller is they are not natively found by vista, this could be done from a floppy or a USB device

wrong.

Vista detects Sata drives just fine, you only need drivers if you have the disk in a raid array.

One sata disk will be detected just as easily as a pata disk.. no drivers are needed!

It's just a drive, with a different interconnect..

Seriously, I haven't needed drivers for any of my sata drives, and most chipsets' drivers are shipped with Vista.

*edit*

unless you don't use an onboard controller (eg a pci sata card) - but even then, most controllers such as SIS etc have drivers in the vista install :)

Edited by uvmain

Vista may detect SATA drives, but identifying that drive and having drivers in Vista for it are two different things. Fizban2 was correct, if the drivers do not exist natively in Vista you need to load them like he said. Vista ships with a ton of drivers but not every SATA in the world has drivers in Vista.

Edited by Spooky

Vista may detect SATA drives, but identifying that drive and having drivers in Vista for it are two different things. Fizban2 was correct, if the drivers do not exist natively in Vista you need to load them like he said. Vista ships with a ton of drivers but not every SATA in the world has drivers in Vista.

the drives themselves don't need any drivers at all!

The sata ports may need additional drivers, but this is very unlikely if the motherboard is based on one of the common chipsets..

ati, nforce, via etc.

It's the motherboard that needs chipset drivers, or the pci sata controller that needs drivers, but the sata drives do not need any drivers ;)

*edit* - typo's ahoy!

Edited by uvmain

ok now we are slicing bread :-D

to anwser the question without getting to fine grained,

@davidyeap,

your sata HD will be picked up by vista, but you will likely need drivers for what ever controller is being used by your motherboard manufactuer if that controller has RAID or is specific to your board. only way to know if to try it and see how it goes!

I used to be sitting on a RAID 0 in XP, but I was forced to disable it and go dual SATA HDD's instead as Vista refused to detect it. I tried the latest drivers from Nvidia, the older ones and even drivers from DFI homepage but I still got nothing. Vista is supposed to be better then XP, not the other way around! Another thing MS has screwed up..

I used to be sitting on a RAID 0 in XP, but I was forced to disable it and go dual SATA HDD's instead as Vista refused to detect it. I tried the latest drivers from Nvidia, the older ones and even drivers from DFI homepage but I still got nothing. Vista is supposed to be better then XP, not the other way around! Another thing MS has screwed up..

MS hasn't screwed anything up.. nVidia (are supposed to) make the drivers!

Saying that, nVidia hasn't screwed up that badly.. The OS isn't even publicly released yet ;)

The DFI drivers haven't been updated in a while.. you'll be better off checking nVidia nzone for drivers, or their ftp -

ftp://download.nvidia.com/

I too have SATA hard drives (2 of them) and have them configured in a RAID 0 array. I would like to set up a dual boot of Vista RTM and my current OS WinXP Pro w/SP2.

Can this be done, and if so, is there a step by step guide to do it?

Edited by beejay1a