Find PC's location on a LAN, that we know its ip address

zillah

At work I have got a round 100 PCs and Servers on different LAN from mine (VLAN) , I have got this ip address 192.168.1.55, I can ping this ip address, but I can not locate which PC is it ?

Is there an utility to help me find out where is that PC ?

Regards

Edited by zillah

NSLOOKUP ip or NBTSTAT -A ip should give you the name and even the logged in user.

If the name is not enough to identify the PC try NET SEND Name after you send everyone an email

DOS is your friend - especially in NT!

Edited by chris9999

Thanks chris9999

NSLOOKUP ip or
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator]NSLOOKUP 192.168.1.55

Server: etcedc1.etce.glo

Address: 192.168.1.55

*** -------- can't find 192.168.1.55: Non-existent domain

NBTSTAT -A ip should give you the name and even the logged in user.

It did not work as well.

If you do a ping -a <ip_address>, it should do a reverse lookup and give you the hostname of the machine that DNS thinks the IP belongs to (you need a working reverse lookup zone on your DNS server for this to work, obviously). If you're talking about finding it physically, that requires either a diagram showing where it is either on the floor or which switch port and patch panel it's attached to - there's no automated way to do that. Not sure which you mean, but hopefully you mean you're just looking for the host name :).

nbtstat will tell you the MAC address, given an IP, even if the machine is on a different VLAN.

On your file server, right click My Computer, Click Manage, Shared Folders, Sessions. You should be able to map a IP address to a User name. Hopefully, you will know where the user's office is. :-)

If not, you can start looking for the MAC address in all of you switches and then follow that port to the patch panel in your wiring closet. This port should connect to the office in question.

-John