3dfx problem!!!

bigadeal

Hi Fellas.

I tried a tip that was given on this forum on how to rectify the problem XP has with 3dfx Driver, but now XP wont install my original driver so that I can go further and copy/paste the dll files.

Could someone please assit on this one.

Very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

first off I would like to start off with an analogy. Imagine now, you go into the doctors office, and you sit down and you say to the doc, I've got a terrible problem and I want you to fix it.

How in the sam hell can a doctor fix a problem without knowing/having more information?

The point is you need to provide information when you post an issue, especially with computers.

Now on to your problem, it seems 3dfx will no longer be supported in feburary, so It would be very good of you to scrap the card and go get a new one. As they are very reasonable these days.

Not knowing your card type, system used, etc... I am going to direct you to this site, however, if this does not help you then you need to post your information so we can diagnose your issue and try to offer help.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/3dfxfaq.shtml

this site has drivers for various 3DFX cards for windows 2000/XP.

Good luck,

Big Booger

If you want XP to install your original driver, you need to do the following,

1) boot into safemode (tap the F8 key immediately after you turn the power on. Repeatedly tap the key until safemode screen comes up. CHoose safemode.

2) once in safemode, you need to select yes to boot to safe mode when the screen comes up asking you if you want to continue with safemode or do a system restore.

3) then go into my computer, right click, and hit properties, device manager, and find your display card, and right click and hit uninstall, now it should uninstall for you completely. Restart your computer, and XP should install the default XP drivers for your 3dfx card.

Big Booger

:mad:

i,m not familiar with xp but i did have a 3dfx voodoo 3 2000 pci card and i got the best driver by letting windows me installing it as a standard vga and then going to windows update for my old ME and the update device driver installed a whql 3dfx driver for my card workeed excellent LOL don,t get mad at me if this doesn,t help i,m just a truck driver!!!!

XP comes with an okay 3dfx driver, and an updated on is available on Windows Update. This one works with most everything. There are a few games it doesn't work with, but it works well with flight sim, quake3, swat3, the sims, and every other game that I play.

I would just like to say that until nVidia stops their tactics of hurting 3dfx users in a push to make them purchase an nVidia card, I shall never buy from nVidia.

And furthermore, while I rant, until they learn the value of open source, and get a clue on their Linux drivers, I shall never buy nVidia. 3dfx was probably the best company that understood this, and completely open sourced their drivers. As a consequence, 3dfx cards have THE BEST Linux support period. This brought a lot of Linux users to purchase a 3dfx card, since it worked so nicely on Linux. If nVidia had a clue, they would learn from one of 3dfx's good business decisions.

I never liked nVidia either, its very common to find people who get BSODs in Win2k or XP with GeForce cards until they get the right driver. And I've seen absolutely no-one getting driver probs or BSODs with ATI Radeons. ATI may lack in providing a number of different drivers, but at least they work and are not troublesome.

A year ago I used to own a GeForce 256 and an GeForce 2 MX, they crashed in windows 98/2k and every single game I played no matter what drivers I used. ppppff.

Long live ATI! (I guess 3DFx are decent too but I never used one of their cards)