Bootable Vista DVD

Autounattend.xml needs to be present in the Root
Not necessarily

Works off root of floppy/usb stick. Can change it that way if error occurs

Works in Sources for me with the $oem$ present and the <UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet>

Don't know if it's because I also use some <OEMInformation> stuff

There is a special search order Vista Setup follows when looking for an Unattend.xml/AutoUnattend.xml file. Look into WAIK-Help use search and type Methods for Running Windows Setup. There you'll find some more information about. At least there are seven locatinons, you could store you're xml file.

Hope that'll clear it up!

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting thing here, while the file can be in the root of the DVD and several places for that matter, if it is in the root of the DVD and you have a floppy with another file on it the Vista install will choose the one on the floppy and apply it without applying the one in the root of the DVD. I think this is because the floppy is one of the first places the install looks at and it just grabs the first file it finds and uses that.

I have mine in the DVD root so its where ever the DVD goes, but i've discovered that if I want to make some changes that I can do another file and put it on a floppy and the file on the floppy will be used instead of the one in the root of the DVD. I didn't realize this until a few days ago when I left a floppy in the drive during an install, and since it was un-attended I didn't stick around to watch the install. I discovered after install completion the settings in the file at the DVD root were not applied but instead a completly different set up was applied - drove me nuts for two days trying to figure it out then I noticed the floppy in the drive, I looked at the file on the floppy and saw the settings that were actually applied during the install.

• 1 month later...
After some struggeling I finally got the right code. Down here there is a simpel command/batch code whick makes your Vista ISO.

Make sure you use the right paths. And have the file oscdimg.exe present in the same folder as the batch. Oscdimg.exe can be found in Windows AIK, PE Tools.

Save it as createiso.cmd (name doesn't matter just the extension .cmd)

CLS
@echo off
TITLE Creating ISO Image of Miscrosoft Windows Vista
ECHO.
ECHO You image is now being created. Make sure oscdimg.exe is present.
ECHO.
ECHO Creating your ISO...
oscdimg -bd:\Projects\Unattended\Vista\WVISTAUL_EN_VOL01\boot\etfsboot.com -h -j1 -j2 -m -o -x-lVISTA_EN_DVD D:\Projects\Unattended\Vista\WVISTAUL_EN_VOL01\ C:\WVISTAUL_EN_VOL01.iso
ECHO.
PAUSE
EXIT

Works like a charm

Edit: Added oscdimg.exe and fixed the code, which now works properly

cai, i did it exactly as you did, but i still get this error 5 (and sometimes error 123). I'm doing it under xp. What i'm doing wrong: Nothing seems to help... Is it possible that oscdimg.exe is damaged? Please give me some hints. Thanks!

Clemens Vargas, Oldenburg, Germany

• 2 weeks later...
cai, i did it exactly as you did, but i still get this error 5 (and sometimes error 123). I'm doing it under xp. What i'm doing wrong: Nothing seems to help... Is it possible that oscdimg.exe is damaged? Please give me some hints. Thanks!

Clemens Vargas, Oldenburg, Germany

Have you tried to "Run As Administrator" ?

thats what i had to do in order to bypass error 5.

the DVD now boots which is farther then i have ever gotten, however i get an error into booting that says Windows PE cant find setup.exe its looking in X:\windows~BT\Windows however the file resides in X:\...

Edited by c0ldfyr3

• 8 months later...
Once you have all your Vista-DVD-Files in one directory of your HD, copy your AutoUnattend.xml to this directory - directly into this directory, not in any subfolders. Open a command prompt (Start\Run\cmd) and use oscdimg to create an ISO file:

oscdimg -n –m -bD:\MyVistaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com D:\MyVistaDVD\ D:\Vistax86.iso

Note:

If you're handeling a 64bit Vista-DVD than use efisys.bin instead of etfsboot.com!

You have to replace D:\MyVistaDVD\ with your Path to your Vista-DVD files.

The last part - D:\Vistax86.iso - just attaches a name to the ISO file.

Burn this ISO to a DVD using third party software.

Let it rock...

Martin

can't find the file efisys.bin

I tried to make a vista dvd of a 64bits version but the file you told is not on the dvd

Thx anyway

• 4 months later...
Thanks FireGeier,

Working on it now, I get an error

ERROR: Could not delete existing file "D:\Projects\Unattended\Vista\WVISTAUL_EN_VOL01\" Error 5

Still working on it!

Anyone else still having this problem? Tried running as Admin. What file is it trying to delete? Any help would be appreciated. Working under VIsta Ultimate.

• 1 month later...

the efisys.bin is found in: \efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin

dude, this post was amazing... it helped me A LOT!

so i'm finishing my vista OEM pt-BR under windows xp right now... my custom batch file:

CLS
@echo off
TITLE Criando imagem UDF do Windows Vista
ECHO.
ECHO Sua imagem está sendo criada. Tenha certeza que oscdimg.exe está presente.
ECHO.
ECHO Criando sua UDF...
oscdimg -h -n –m -u -u1 -u2 -bD:\VistaWork\DVD\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin -lFRMCXFRE_BR_DVD D:\VistaWork\DVD\ D:\FRMCXFRE_BR_DVD.iso
ECHO.
PAUSE
EXIT

sorry, the topic is very old, but im SO HAPPY! thank you guys!

• 7 months later...

hey guys

i was reading about how to create a boot cd

and am using imgburn to make my boot cd

i am confused when it says boot image

i dont know what file to choose....i tried a few like

BOOTMGR

please i need some help

here is the list of files in the iso

BOOT

EFI

SOURCES

SUPPORT

UPGRADE

AUTORUN

BOOTMGR

SETUP.EXE

I WILL BE REALLY HAPPY IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME :):thumbup:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

i tried to create an image by evary procedure said above..but didn't worked..im getting the message

"oscdimg" is not recognized as an internal or external command

i downloaded that oscdimg file and pasted in the file directory...what to do with this..anyone plz help me in this.