Installing Winxp via winnt32 under Winpe v2.0 (Vista PE)

kyor

I just checked out the nlite site and lookie what I found

v1.4.6

fix: XP SP3 manual install (winnt32) issues

Lets see what it does...

EDIT: Nope, same thing. I'll eventually just try it with with bare xpsp3 and working up from that. I'm thinking that the slipstreamed WMP11 is fubaring it.

Edited by Radimus

Well, I couldn't get the nlited source to work.

I ended up building a WinBuilder VistaPE project

Copied the entire winxp(slipstreamed with sp3) i386 folder to the USB drive

created 3 batch files

* one to diskpart

* one to format c: and bootsect

* one to run winnt32 etc

I'm now looking for an easy way to integrate drivers, I suppose I could do nlite as long as I ONLY integrate drivers, but I'd really prefer a drag and drop (wouldn't we all)

I'm checking out http://www.msfn.org/board/DrvComp-v20070809-t90020.html (DriverCompressor) with and without DPBase

Edited by Radimus

nLite 1.4.7 fixed a lot of (if not all of) the issues pertaining to winnt32.exe installs. Not sure about winnt.exe installs--I stopped using that after slipstreaming hotfixes and files that have longer than 8.3 file names...

there is a limitation of windows pe 2.0 that when creating partitions and formatting NTFS 5.2 that windows xp will fail to load. i dont believe they have fixed this yet.

your best bet would be to use a 3rd part partitioning tool in pe. (i dont know if you can use the old diskpart from the old pe)

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you very much, kyor. Your little .REG file has finally solved my problem.

Before I found this thread I was using Symantec Gdisk32 tool (from Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5) and it didn't work, I always got the "disk read error, press Ctrl+Alt+Del" message upon restart.

I was using these command lines, hoping that it would work correctly:

gdisk32.exe 1 /cre /pri /for /ntfs:xp /align:CHS /q

bootsect.exe /nt52 c: /force /mbr

but as I said, unfortunately it didn't work at all. So much for 3rd party partitioning tools... :(

Anyway, I'm really glad I've found this thread :) Thanks again!

Edited by Leolo

Hi,

A very interesting and accurate thread!

I have been trying to install XP via PE 2.0, using the same method mentioned here:

1:boot

2:regfix

3:diskpart

4:bootsect

5:winnt32

Reboots, text mode completes, when it reboots for gui part of setuop i get stop 0x0000007b stop error. I don't think it's driver related, because text mode finds the disk and does it's job, it's the next reboot that stops...

Any ideas?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

A very interesting and accurate thread!

I have been trying to install XP via PE 2.0, using the same method mentioned here:

1:boot

2:regfix

3:diskpart

4:bootsect

5:winnt32

Reboots, text mode completes, when it reboots for gui part of setuop i get stop 0x0000007b stop error. I don't think it's driver related, because text mode finds the disk and does it's job, it's the next reboot that stops...

Any ideas?

AHCI.

If you're installing XP to a SATA drive on an AHCI controller using PE 2.0/2.1, this will happen. PE will fully recognize the AHCI controller without any problems (since PE 2.0/2.1 is based off of Vista/Server 2008, it comes with AHCI drivers), but XP won't without either:

a) Slipstreaming the AHCI drivers into your XP source.

B) Turning off AHCI in the BIOS and using ATA mode.

c) Pressing F6 in text mode and installing the AHCI drivers from a floppy

Is it at all possible to use a winbom file with this method? I would like to start deploying XP via PXE instead of using the old PE (XP SP2) so we can eliminate the use of CDs for loading Windows. So far we have been unsuccessful in figuring out how to deploy like this. The reason we need a winbom is to point to the cfgsets and the distribution share on the server.

Is there any easy guide which describes to include those AHCI drivers in the XP image? I could filter out some stuff with nLite but I need a base XP image with the AHCI drivers in.

Just use nLite to integrate the AHCI drivers for the motherboard in question. Download the drivers from the appropriate motherboard or PC manufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...