Sound skips when playing wav files

arablizzard2413

I just got a new Toshiba laptop (a Satellite P105-S9722) and sometimes it skips when playing music, at first I thought it was the CD drive, but then I ripped the music and it would still skip at different parts of the song (I know the cd isn't scratched, because the wav files play just fine most of the time).

The Device Manager says the audio device is Conexant High Definition Audio, are there new drivers that can fix this or something?

other than checking drivers, also check how the audio is turned up. if the master is all the way up, and wave is way down, that would cause it. for music, wave should always be all the way up, and you adjust the master to suit it, if you're on a sound system, wave should still be up, master should be around 25%, and use the stereo or reciever to adjust levels beyond that.

skipping audio can be traced to over-modulating circuits surpressing the audio, which can make it sound like someone is turning it up and down a lot, or the skipping.

Why not go to their site and see if there are new drivers for it?

Because their site doesn't have any, they only have drivers for the modems they make. I think the sound chip is only available to oems.

other than checking drivers, also check how the audio is turned up. if the master is all the way up, and wave is way down, that would cause it. for music, wave should always be all the way up, and you adjust the master to suit it, if you're on a sound system, wave should still be up, master should be around 25%, and use the stereo or reciever to adjust levels beyond that.

skipping audio can be traced to over-modulating circuits surpressing the audio, which can make it sound like someone is turning it up and down a lot, or the skipping.

It's a laptop integrated sound, I don't have any external speakers connected. The windows volume control says the sound is turned up, it's not a problem of hearing the sound... it skips sometimes, but plays fine other times.

Is there any large amount of hard disk activity during this time?

No, but the hard drive is a 4200rpm SATA. It doesn't explain why the cd-rom skips when playing audio too.

some times updateing the codecs in the pc/laptop will fix the problem, if all else fails try downloading the latest version of klite mega codec pack and install it to see if that will help out on the issue,

It's a wav file, why should I need a codec, that would only be used if the audio was compressed right? (ex. mp3)

what are u using to play it? try winamp

Windows Media Player 10 later upgraded to 11, but it skipped before I installed 11. Foobar2000 does it too, it's any program that I use to play my music.

toshiba's site.

Oh, no, they don't have anything either. It's probably because it just came out not that long ago. Still, this is really annoying, I'm tempted to just pull out my old HP laptop and use that for music... which would be lame since this thing is a Dual Core 2 2.0GHz with 2 gigs of ram and that punny HP is only 800MHZ with 256megs of ram and plays the music fine.

Try the following:

Click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" under the control panel

Click on the "Audio" tab

Click the "Advanced" button under "Sound Playback"

Click the "Performance" tab

Move the slider for "Hardware Acceleration" all the way to the left to "None"

What's the CPU usage in the task manager while playing?

I hovers around 5 percent with Windows Media player, a little lower for foobar.

The driver version is 3.11.0.0 and it says it's from Conexant, if someone sees newer drivers, let me know because I spent a few hours trying to find it.