[Release] Adobe Reader 9.0 Lite

Shark007

Adobe Reader 9 Lite is not able to open this file:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/pdfs/3d_pdf_demo.pdf

It gives error on missing "Updater" plugin.

Here is a screenshot:

ar9la3.jpg

Hope it can be fixed ;)

I made some tests:

I tried to copy updater.api and updater.ita files from full Adobe Reader 9 installation (I'm using italian version) and the message is fixed but it gives another error window just after with the message

"Impossible to display this document because a plug-in is missing" without specify the plugin name :(

I tried to copy all the plugins installed with full version, including 3d plugins folder but the message is still present.

Maybe some registry keys are missing...

I can confirm full Adobe Reader open the file correctly without any error message

Adobe Reader 9.0 Russian is released. Could you, please, make Adobe Reader 9.0 Russian Lite?
There are many Russian users at this site.

In fact, I think a Russian site similar to this one also exists. Maybe post my tutorial over there if you dont know how to do it yourself.

The crude step by step tutorial that documents exactly what I do when creating these releases is linked to in the 1st post.

I am non longer able to dedicate the time required to maintain all languages.

I will probably still release the English versions in the future.

All other languages will have to be done by others.

I tried to copy all the plugins installed with full version, including 3d plugins folder but the message is still present.

Maybe some registry keys are missing...

This is a non issue, although it is obviously an issue for you...

To resolve it, use the full version.

By design and documentd by me in the 1st post of this thread

I removed all (auto)update® features.

So to help you understand that statement...

Adobe Reader has more than 1 update feature as indicated by the (auto) portion and the ® symbol of the above statement.

'removed' means they do not exist in my releases.

I am not willing to assist you in re-adding removed features.

My suggestion: Use the tutorial to create your own personalized installer with the update features intact.

shark

Edited by Shark007

Hello Shark,

I can understand your point of view but I think there's a basic mistake.

I love your lite version of Adobe Reader because it is faster and lighter than the original one but this hasn't to "damage" program functionality.

With "functionality" I mean the ability to view ALL pdf files correctly like the full version.

If you release a lite version that runs faster but doesn't open all files safely, there's something wrong.

Currently I found a specific file that gives error when opened, a good developer should fix that.

Obviously you can remove all the plugins and files you want (this is one of the reasons it's called "lite") but I think it's a nonsense to remove files if they damage the program.

P.S.

BTW, I red "removed all auto-update features" and I understand the meaning (even if I'm not english mother-tong).

There's no need to be ironic.

Edited by provolino

The crude step by step tutorial that documents exactly what I do when creating these releases is linked to in the 1st post.

I am non longer able to dedicate the time required to maintain all languages.

Thanks a lot shark for the tutorial! I will try.

Wish you a good health and all the best. Thanks for your time!

I found a solution for the error I described in the previous posts :)

The problem is not related to updater plugin, this is a false cause.

Adobe asks for it because it doesn't find a .dll in the program folder and wants to update itself online to fix the error.

The problem is very simple: the file "rt3d.dll" is missing and it's needed for documents with graphic or similar datas.

Shark, if you want to accept a suggestion, just don't remove the dll from next lite versions and you will expand the compatibility of your tool in a few steps :)

Thanks a lot.

Edited by provolino

@Shark007

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I made lite version easily. Working perfectly.

Link for the Turkish Lite version:

Link Removed. New version out.

File Size : 19,830KB

MD5 : F3A2F4F7E74C41E66920958CCF307F29

Desktop, startup icon removed.

Reader_Big_Features / Atmosphere_3D / Reader_Bin_rt3d.dll feature have rt3d.dll.

Atmosphere_3D feature needed to view 3d pdf.

Edited by X-FoRcE

@Shark007

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I made lite version easily. Working perfectly.

I am very glad to hear you found it easy to follow. :thumbup
Reader_Big_Features / Atmosphere_3D / Reader_Bin_rt3d.dll feature have rt3d.dll.

Atmosphere_3D feature needed to view 3d pdf.

Thanks for providing this information. (for others)

shark

Hi.Anyone can add the adobe reader 9 turkish version please.

It just released.That's the link http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/read...Rdr90_tr_TR.exe ;)

If you look about 4 or 5 posts before yours... someone has already posted turkish 9 lite.

TO ALL - as soon as I have some free time I will copy all the newly posted URL's to the 1st post for ease of access

TO ALL PART 2 - thank you to those making Lite versions avaialable for others to use, its apreciated.

Personal note: It just makes me smile to know so many are willing to assist others in thier endevours on the MSFN forums.

I love this community. :thumbup

shark

Edited by Shark007

For comparison the Adobe Reader 9 msi is about 42.5 MB when unpacked in size. I use wimakcab to recompress it to a single MSI which installs much faster then the original installer. I see Adobe Reader 9 Lite is half the size, but on a recent computer size doesn't matter that much.