[Release] Adobe Reader 9.0 Lite

Shark007

One more suggestion: rather than deleting the plugins completely, move them to the Optional folder (peer with plug_ins). Yes, the installer will be bigger, but at least the plugins are there for users that need some of them, they can just be moved back into plug_ins, as needed. Or release an Optional.7z file with just the extra plugins. It's a pain to install the full v9 somewhere else just to copy 1-2 plugins that a user may need.

Edited by AllNew

This is why it is an Lite version. If you need additional plugins, install the original full version. And if you just want these 1 or 2 files, make an sfx archive to extract them in your UA-DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shark,

I have Adobe Acrobat 8 (not the reader) installed, and don't like it as a PDF viewer. I wonder if your lite version (specifically 9.0) could coexist with it, and don't mess things up if it's uninstalled someday?

Thanks for your great work!

Hi Shark,

I have Adobe Acrobat 8 (not the reader) installed, and don't like it as a PDF viewer. I wonder if your lite version (specifically 9.0) could coexist with it, and don't mess things up if it's uninstalled someday?

Thanks for your great work!

yes you can install it AFTER the Pro installation to have it handle reading PDF documents.

The installer is still Adobe's, I only modified it to reduce the unwanted bloat it installa.

shark

any idea what can cause this error:

http://german-nlite.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=194

Little translation:

"While trying to read from the file '...\AcroRead.msi' a network error occured"

The error is caused by having previously installed the FULL version.

Please keep in mind the purpose of these installers. UNATTENDED MEDIA. They are not designed for desktop use.

They are not designed to deal with previous installations (even though it was uninstalled)

The error only occurs if you had previously installed the full version.

If you wish to avoid the error, you could try repackaging and renaming the contained msi from ar.msi to AcroRead.msi but this is not tested.

shark

Hi Shark,

I have a small suggestion. Would you consider removing the registration (and unregistration, of course) of AcroRd32Info.exe in future releases? The 9.0 version leaves a lot of DCOM errors in my event viewer. Yes they are safe, but still unpleasant to the eyes.

Thanks again for your nice work!

PS. I deleted the registration info under HKCR and HKLM (with backup), and no errors are issued now.

Edited by yyang

• 2 weeks later...
Adobe Reader 9 in spanish is avilable here: http://www.adobe.com/es/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

thanks for the information Annita.

Current available languages pending release in LITE versions:

chs

cht

dan

esp

ita

nld

nor

ptb

suo

sve

kor

Also, i will be updating all previously posted lite 9.0 versions to enable form filling.

No ETA for these releases is avaiable. I will try to have them ready early next week, this isnt a promise.

Having access to highspeed internet is rare for me and ultimately the reason these releases will take some time to get out.

shark

Edited by Shark007

Hi Shark007,

I used to download the acrobat reader from adobe and then modify or create a package (depends) for it. Then I use AD to push it out to all machines in our company. Is there a problem if I remove the current version (8.2) on our network and install your lite version 9? Of course the remove and install will be through AD.

Thank you very much.

enz

This is a HUGE project to maintain on my own. In fact, I'm stepping aside . . .

Therefore I'm posting a tutorial for those with some MSI editting skills to be able to keep up releases of thier own language(s).

I have prepared 15 new releases of 9.0 which I will make available soon,

BUT in the future I'd like to see others posting thier own work, in this thread for others to use.

Form Filling is functional in the new releases, AcroRead32Info.exe is removed with no errors in the event log (I hope)

______________________________ T U T O R I A L ________________________________

open the MSI in orca

headings.. edit/find .. type; 32info .. find next .. delete all instances found .. save

open the MSI with Installshield ..click upper TAB, Installation Designer

left column, click Setup Design

center column, expand ReaderProgramFiles .. delete, AUM, Updater

expand Plugins .. delete all instances of;

AcroSign, Annotations, Checkers, DigSig, DVA, ebook, HLS, IA32, PPKLite, ReadOutLoud, SendMail

LANGUAGE SPECIFIC ITEM

expand Plugins_UI_(language specific) .. click on Files

delete Checkers, DigSig, DVA, Hls, IA32, PPKLite, SendMail

LANGUAGE SPECIFIC ITEM

Chinese, Korean and Japanese versions have this extra step;

left column click Components, scroll center column to Resource_CIDFont_(laguage specific)

expand and click on Files, delete the files from the right column

expand Reader_Big_Features .. delete MultimediaPlugin, Atmosphere_3D, AdobeCommonLinguistics_Big

expand Accessibility_Plugins .. delete all instances of;

Accessibility, MakeAccessible, PDDom, SaveAsRTF

Left Column, click Shortcuts, under Program Menu, delete Adobe Reader 9 and PrintMe Internet Printing

Under Desktop, drag n drop the shortcut to Program Menu

Left Column click Registry, Import this registry file;

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown]
"bDontShowAtLaunch"=dword:00000001
"bGoOnline"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Downtown]
"bDontShowAtLaunch"=dword:00000001
"bGoOnline"=dword:00000000

Under HKLM, expand Software/Windows/CurrentVersion .. delete Run

Left Column click Property Manager .. change the following Values;

ADMIN_INSTALL - YES

ALLUSERS - 2

ENABLE_CACHE_FILES - NO

ENABLE_OPTIMIZATION - NO

EULA_ACCEPT - YES

LAUNCH_APP - 0

SUPPRESS_APP_LAUNCH - YES

SYNCHRONIZER - NO

Left Column click on Direct Editor, center column, highlight InstallExecuteSequence

right column click the word 'Action' to alphabetize the menu

delete AumRegister and AumUnregister

SAVE

Creating an AIP ...

create the directory, c:\temp

run this command in the MSI folder; msiexec /a AcroRead.msi targetdir=c:\temp /qb

The resulting files are ready for repackaging/redistribution

____________________________ E N D __________________________

good luck, shark

Edited by Shark007