[Release] Adobe Reader 9.0 Lite

Shark007

so will there be a Lite version of Acrobat Reader 8.1.1 coming soon? ... hopefully Mr. Shark can find a way to provide it.

It will not be soon. I don't have highspeed intenrnet access. (possibly next weekend, Nov 3-4, no promise)

I will consider releasing a tutorial, only if the changes can be performed in Orca - but this is doubtful

Even to do a tutorial I would need a sample 8.1.1 distribution to work with. pending . . .

shark

Don't worry Shark ;)

We can easly wait November for that :D

The downloaded file for English UK (ar811lite_engUK.7z) contains a file called ar811lite_engUK.exe, but the file date is 05/06/2007 and it installs as version 8.1.0.137. Anyone else found this?

You are correct. I've made an error. Download URL's removed and adding the UK version to pending uploads...

sorry about that, and thanks for the input.

Hi Shark,

two little question:

1) I noticed that the italian version of 8.1.1 lite I installed, add a shortcut in the autorun folder calling Adobe SpeedLauncher (Reader_SL.exe).

Can you check and fix it please?

2) Can you make your lite versions upgradable?

I mean:

current releases don't install themselves on a computer where Adobe Lite is already installed giving "another version of this product is already installed on the system" message (I faced this behaviour when I tried to upgrade my 8.1.0 with 8.1.1).

I think the solution is simple, just remove the "check for a previous version" from the installer with ORCA or similar tools: it will not create any problem on pcs with no Adobe installed at all or for integration in Windows CD but it will make release upgradable if new versions will be out ;)

Thanks a lot for your time,

Prov

;)

1) I noticed that the italian version of 8.1.1 lite I installed, add a shortcut in the autorun folder calling Adobe SpeedLauncher (Reader_SL.exe). . . Can you check and fix it please?
This may exist in all versions. I'll need to redo the entire set. (18 releases)
2) Can you make your lite versions upgradable?

I mean:

current releases don't install themselves on a computer where Adobe Lite is already installed giving "another version of this product is already installed on the system" message (I faced this behaviour when I tried to upgrade my 8.1.0 with 8.1.1).

I think the solution is simple, just remove the "check for a previous version" from the installer with ORCA or similar tools: it will not create any problem on pcs with no Adobe installed at all or for integration in Windows CD but it will make release upgradable if new versions will be out ;)

This behavior is purposeful. If a user attempts to install a downloaded FULL version they are forced to uninstall the current Lite version.

I won't change this aspect. Using a FULL version to upgrade a Lite version causes problems so being forced to uninstall the previous version 1st is the correct path to take.

shark

This may exist in all versions. I'll need to redo the entire set. (18 releases)

I didn't test other localized versions, hope that it's related to italian only so you won't need to redo all packs.

Maybe some other users can give a feedback about packs in other languages ;)

This behavior is purposeful. If a user attempts to install a downloaded FULL version they are forced to uninstall the current Lite version.

I won't change this aspect. Using a FULL version to upgrade a Lite version causes problems so being forced to uninstall the previous version 1st is the correct path to take.

I can understand your point of view but I think users that have your Adobe Lite installed will never install official release (no reasons to install a bloated version when you know that a smaller and better release is out).

This is the reason for my request: Adobe Lite users will always continue to use it :)

In addition to all this, you should consider that automatic upgrade in the help menu is completely disabled in your release so there are no risks for an upgrade to full made accidentally :)