Panorama32

Jaqie Fox

This is a small review of a freeware program some of you may already know about, Panorama32, available at their official web page, www.ivory.org.

The program is freeware for Windows 95 and higher operating systems.

Without further ado, here are the screenshots.

Please note: any downsized image is clickable for the full-size image

panorama32-t.jpg

This handy little program loves to change your background image, and it is very much like a good dog, eager to please, and if you tell it what to do, it will. Easily customized with it's myriad options and still fully functional in windows XP, it dutifully does whatever you tell it and nothing you don't. It can change yoru background color, auto tile the image if it is smaller than 1/2 your desktop size, auto scale if it is more then 1/2 that size, auto-convert and dither jpeg images to windows-standard bitmaps (remember it is compatible with windows 95 which does not use jpegs for backgrounds), and much much more. The program is pretty well laid-out and thought out as well, the options are easy to understand and clear.

The only real problem with it is it's look is a bit dated, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

This is another of my daily run programs.

My rating for it is definitely 5 out of 5 stars.

What are your thoughts?

I can only say "various sources on the internet". I have scoured the net for years to find my favorite since before google even existed until now. I honestly couldn't give a single URL for them - and some of them don't even exist anymore on the net I think.

Since I do not have the rights to them I wouldn't feel ok at all redistributing them, sorry.

LLXX - That won't change the images for you automatically on a timer. Some people like to have pictures of their family on their desktop and have them rotate on a timer. This program has functionality beyond simply setting the wallpaper. Why don't you have a look at the feature set before being cheeky next time...? ;)

I agree with Zxian.

I prefer a background image, sometimes of me and my fiancee, or me and my best friend, or somoething from a recent gaming session. Long story short, it reminds me of good times. :D

I can only say "various sources on the internet". I have scoured the net for years to find my favorite since before google even existed until now. I honestly couldn't give a single URL for them - and some of them don't even exist anymore on the net I think.

Since I do not have the rights to them I wouldn't feel ok at all redistributing them, sorry.

Naw, don't worry about it. I'll goole this stuff. Always liked nature.

Also Matt and Melinda might be a bit upset if you distributed that wallpaper.

(hint: look at the base of the tree)

:rolleyes::lol:

:lol: Good eyes man. But I think the ranger would be more interested in the vandalism of public land than the distribution of a picure.

LLXX - That won't change the images for you automatically on a timer. Some people like to have pictures of their family on their desktop and have them rotate on a timer. This program has functionality beyond simply setting the wallpaper. Why don't you have a look at the feature set before being cheeky next time...? ;)
Hmm...
It can change yoru background color
Control panel does that.
auto tile the image if it is smaller than 1/2 your desktop size
Control panel does that.
auto scale if it is more then 1/2 that size
Control panel does that.
auto-convert and dither jpeg images to windows-standard bitmaps (remember it is compatible with windows 95 which does not use jpegs for backgrounds)
Ok... but anyone with windows 95 would likely not be using a JPG background (nor a particularly fancy background image either).

...and then "and much more". That doesn't really tell much does it? If this thing would change the wallpaper automatically and at timed intervals I was expecting it would be near the top of the list of features, since enumerating the capabilities of the control panel is a bit discouraging...

Edited by LLXX

Next time, please re-read the post and look at the screenshot as this is a mini review not an exhaustive one instead of trying to bash a program you don't even know the features of?

Everyone else seemed to notice it right off...

Edited by Jaqie Fox