how can i free up some memory

rocksounds

Hi. Wonder if anyone can help. Lately my laptop has been running out of space on the hard disk and system restore has been suspended as i've not got 200mb of free space left. That's fine, i sat down last night and removed all my old unused programs, especially Microsoft Train sim which was taking up loads. I uninstalled all these programs using the Add/Remove Programs option. I re-booted tonight and expexted my memory situation to be back to normal - but no.... i'm still getting the "low on memory" warnings and system restore is still suspended. What have i done wrong ? there's no sign of those old programs anymore but i can't understand why my hard disc hasn't been freed up. Many thanks if anyone knows the answer

i've tried disc cleanup but there was only 2,713kb of space to free up. and i'm not using any undelete programs. "My Computer" properties says i'm using 17.4GB with only 134mb of free space left. That Microsoft Train sim took alone was using over 1GB and that's now uninstalled. I can only think that must be still on my hard drive somehow. When i uninstall a program does it actually free up the hard disc then and there ?

It *should* remove relevant files. However some uninstallers are buggy. Check in Program Files, and see if it's still there.

I recommend you download and install TreeSize. Run it on the root directory, and you can see graphically where your hard disk space went to.

i'm getting confused now ! i just looked at the properties of my "d" drive and there's 17GB of space there now apparently. I'm sure that wasn't there before. Not sure how i can use that space though. I thought the D drive was just for the laptops system stuff. I certainly never use it

Here's my suggestion.

1. Install CCLEANER and run it.

2. Make sure you check "view hidden folders" in folder options

3. go to Windows folder and delete all folders that begin with "$Nt"

4 go to Windows/Downloaded Installations folder and delete all folders in there. I did.

5 go to Windows/Inf folder and delete all the files that start with "MDM", those are all modem files and there's 20 MB of those. Just install the one you use.

Hope this helps

Are you getting "Low memory" warnings, or "Low Disk Space" warnings, specifically? They're different...

Hm. I assumed he was getting low memory because of running out of swap space, and the swap was set to a dynamic size. Good idea to check instead of assuming, I didn't think of that.

Hi. Wonder if anyone can help. Lately my laptop has been running out of space on the hard disk and system restore has been suspended as i've not got 200mb of free space left. That's fine, i sat down last night and removed all my old unused programs, especially Microsoft Train sim which was taking up loads. I uninstalled all these programs using the Add/Remove Programs option. I re-booted tonight and expexted my memory situation to be back to normal - but no.... i'm still getting the "low on memory" warnings and system restore is still suspended. What have i done wrong ? there's no sign of those old programs anymore but i can't understand why my hard disc hasn't been freed up. Many thanks if anyone knows the answer

rocksounds, you're confusing two different things. Memory = RAM. Hard drive space = Hard drive space. Your computer usually comes with around 512MB to 2GB of RAM (more or less). Applications only use up memory when they are running, caching files and data for quick access. Your system is complaining about too many applications being run at the same time. In other words, close a few programs (File > Quit/Exit) and see if you get any more of those "Low on Memory" warnings. If not, then the problem lies elsewhere. However, I'm quite certain that is the problem.

Newer hard drives come with around 80GB to 750GB of hard drive space. Applications and other files take up this space when you install them. Movies, music, pictures, etc. too.

Jaqie has a point though. Your computer may be running low on virtual memory. That is, when your computer runs out of real memory, aka RAM, it takes a chunk out of your hard drive space to use as memory.

When all of your computer's real physical memory (RAM) is in use, Windows will try to create virtual memory by grabbing a chunk of hard drive space and treating it like real memory. Your software can't tell the difference between real and virtual memory, but you might because virtual memory access is much slower, due to the hard drive activity it requires.

If you encounter the low virtual memory error message, then you have used the maximum amount of real plus virtual memory that is supported on your system. Sometimes programs that crash or ones that are poorly designed will not return their working memory space to the operating system when they're done using it. Other programs that need a large amount of memory to run may fail because Windows cannot "see" the available memory. In most cases, a shutdown and restart will resolve this problem.

http://askbobrankin.com/low_virtual_memory.html

thanks for your replys guys. yes i am getting confused ! i've had a good look round tonight so this info may help - this is an acer laptop and the hard drive seems to be split 50% / 50% between the C drive and D drive (which is described as ACERDATA) Both drives seem to have 17.5GB of memory available. Looking at the C drive shows that i only have 1.15MB of space left, so i suppose this means that i've used that up with all my programs and about 100 music albums. D drive, however says that of the 17.5GB available i've still got all the 17.5GB unused. Does that mean that i can move my albums over to the D drive and free up space on the C drive ? I'm also a bit concened that there seems to be nothing at all on the D drive as i thought that was where the system recovery discs were kept. I hope this makes sense. sorry to be a pain but your help really is appreciated

thanks for your replys guys. yes i am getting confused ! i've had a good look round tonight so this info may help - this is an acer laptop and the hard drive seems to be split 50% / 50% between the C drive and D drive (which is described as ACERDATA) Both drives seem to have 17.5GB of memory available. Looking at the C drive shows that i only have 1.15MB of space left, so i suppose this means that i've used that up with all my programs and about 100 music albums. D drive, however says that of the 17.5GB available i've still got all the 17.5GB unused. Does that mean that i can move my albums over to the D drive and free up space on the C drive ? I'm also a bit concened that there seems to be nothing at all on the D drive as i thought that was where the system recovery discs were kept. I hope this makes sense. sorry to be a pain but your help really is appreciated

I'm honestly not sure what's on the D: partition, but I would suggest using Partition Magic and moving over your D: partition to say, 2GB. adding 15.5GB to your C:.