Shutdown Halting

Hixin

Dont know if this is just an isolated problem for me, but it seems that everytime I try to shutdown/restart it halts, (Can tell because the "cheerio" stops spinning).

Any ideas on what could be causing it because im stumped.

are you saying your pc feezes up altogether ? or just wont restart/ shut off ?

if it wont restart / shut off, its more then likly because a few apps wont shut down all the way, so if its not the pc freezing then,, try alt-ctrl-del to see what processes are running at that time to see what the hold up is,,

and if its just freezing,,

have you defraged it recently ?

scanned for viruses and spyware ?

updated all drivers ?

checked to see if a new bios is out for your mobo and if so try flashing it

those are just a few ideals to check out

if you can give us alittle more information,, we might be able to come up with or give better answers to your reply

check the machine temp's also!

u can probably see these in your bios.

if it's not that.. most probably fault of a couple of softwares...

suggest format and reisntall of os.. easily fixes the problem.. if u don't wanna do that.. defrag, anti-spyware, antivirus, scandisk/chkdsk, registry cleaner...

lots of softwares to do all that... get working mate.

OK, before jumping to hardware conclusions, let's find out EXACTLY what happens. When you go to shut down or reboot the machine and it stops, can you still use the machine? Can you move the mouse, press ctrl+alt+del and get the winlogon screen, or open/close running applications? When did this start happening? Does this happen when you boot into safe mode and reboot or shut down?

Dont think I explained deep enough lol.

Ok so shutting down goes fine, then get to the shutdown screen saying the obvious "Shutting Down blah blah blah"

Looks like its going fine then the cheerio next to the text in the logon/shutdown screen

Ive known this to happen in XP also when it gets to Saving Your Settings so im just wondering what might be causing it under vista, especially since I dont actually have any applications installed that would have problems closing.

And if there is a program not closing properly then MS has made a nice booboo in the RTM :-S

Edited by Hixin

Dont think I explained deep enough lol.

Ok so shutting down goes fine, then get to the shutdown screen saying the obvious "Shutting Down blah blah blah"

Looks like its going fine then the cheerio next to the text in the logon/shutdown screen

Ive known this to happen in XP also when it gets to Saving Your Settings so im just wondering what might be causing it under vista, especially since I dont actually have any applications installed that would have problems closing.

And if there is a program not closing properly then MS has made a nice booboo in the RTM :-S

Does this happen in safe mode?