Installing XP on a SATA drive (stick with me)

wristdirect

Okay, I know there are questions all the time about how to install XP on a SATA drive. However, every answer I have come by is assuming there are SATA drivers on their motherboard's CD. My motherboard, however, came with built-in raid support, and therefore there is no driver for SATA drives to install during my XP installation. Any help? I could really use it ><

To install SATA support (including SATA RAID cards) in XP you must have a floppy with the SATA RAID drivers for your SATA RAID card on it in .inf form. There are probably readmes on your driver CD for how to create that floppy if it didn't come with the floppy already.

Whats the Brand/Model of the motherboard? Why can't you use IDE Hard Drive (PATA)? A lot less headaches with the well established IDE/PATA drives...

okay, new problem. I actually saw this before reading your reply here and realized that could be it, so yeah, you were right. but the new problem is that I cant get back to Vista now. I am running XP x64 version right now on one of my 100GB drives (the other 100GB has random music etc), and I have Vista on my raided 160GBs (all these drives i mentioned are SATA). For some reason, I cant boot off of the raided 160s to get on vista anymore. it tells me to select a proper boot device. I cant remember how I set my raided 160s as being a boot drive. how do i do this? :wacko:

oh, btw, my motherboard is an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

and thanks again all

edit: oh thinkster, nvm, i misread what you were saying. but either way, i have the hard drives i have, and im not buying new ones at this point lol

Edited by wristdirect

Dont know if I can help but I have a asus p5ad2 premium board and have raid drivers load without intervention in a unattended install

i have 4 sata disks using raid 1 + 0 ie 2 striped then mirrored

Is this what you require?

just re reading your last post if your sata raid disk is not being recognised you need to go into the bios and set the raid disk as the boot disk

what raid are you using? 1,0,5 etc

Edited by gratz

hmm. well first off, im doing raid 0 on the 160s. but when i put that raided "drive" on the top of my harddrive list, and try to boot off of it, i get an error telling me to pick a proper boot device. Drazick, I'm not totally sure what slipstreaming or nLite are, but I'll look into it. Thanks guys. I'll post back when I try all this.